Fly-fisherman turned Hunter-new to hunting and to NY

Dr Ignominious Death

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tied flies as a child but the old man down the road that taught me how to passed away before he could teach me how to actually fly fish. I have stuck with my spinning rod all these years. I fish in some remote areas and have been told that up here around the Adirondacks and north all the way to the Canadian border is excellent fly fishing. I have a cousin that came up from Georgia a few years ago for a funeral and decided to bring his fly rod with him and was amazed how good the fishing was and that he didn't see another fisherman the entire week he was here. He couldn't believe that the people in the area weren't out fishing. There are remote areas all over the state you just have to keep your eye open. The salmon is just the most well known.

Edited by noahmstone

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the board or is it "bored" I never can tell anymore. NYS does have all sorts of opportunity to hunt and fish. I live in a park called "Adirondack Park" and behind my house I have 110,000 acres of wilderness, everthing from bears, whitetails, coyotes, lynx, moose, and sometimes I even see a human. LOL

I am a fly fisherman myself and there is really good fishing up here. The famous Ausable and Saranac are with in a few miles of me and they are great.

Anyway, enjoy your stay in NYS.