Police Wasting Taxpayer money

irish_redneck

This is a quote from myreporter website.

"The most important reason is that the large amounts of electronic equipment installed inside modern patrol vehicles — like the laptops, dash cameras, radios, siren boxes, light chargers, etc.—suck up tons of power. Each time the vehicle is cut off, an officer has to turn off all that equipment or run the risk of draining the vehicle’s battery power in minutes. And then when they get back inside, they would have to turn all that stuff back on and wait for it to reboot before driving again. This especially comes into play when vehicles park with their sirens on, because the flashing lights eat up a lot of battery."

Makes sense.. but all that could be solved with a simple solar cell on the roof of the car that charges a back up battery to run that equipment when the car isn't running.. (Thats why computers have power saving features) What happens when his shift is over and the car sits overnight in at the police station? I would think light, radio, and sirens should be off when not in use and shouldn't be drawing power and the dash cam is certainly not doing much good pointing at the side of the post office building. I guess the reason doesn't make as much sense as I first thought after thinking it through... :)

Edited by nyantler

Makes sense.. but all that could be solved with a simple solar cell on the roof of the car that charges a back up battery to run that equipment when the car isn't running.. (Thats why computers have power saving features) What happens when his shift is over and the car sits overnight in at the police station? I would think light, radio, and sirens should be off when not in use and shouldn't be drawing power and the dash cam is certainly not doing much good pointing at the side of the post office building. I guess the reason doesn't make as much sense as I first thought after thinking it through... :)

most cars stay in service 24 hours a day.........solar panels might be an option if it was sunny everyday and it didn't get dark at night.

Edited by jjb4900

most cars stay in service 24 hours a day.........solar panels might be an option if it was sunny everyday and it didn't get dark at night.

Most panels now days only need light not sun... and having a backup battery being charged (or even 2) would give the car the extra power needed to run the equipment until the next day when the battery can be recharged again by the panel. Many RV's are equiped with the same kinds of panels and can run lights, tv, fridge, radio and a 110 outlet for an entire weekend. You can even get one to charge your cell phone.

See nyantler cares about the environment.

JJB, do you know if higher ranking NYST's are salary? That would make sense then.

Yes they are... and a handsome salary it is and the one public job that I think warrants such a salary. It doesn't warrant wasting taxpayer dollars letting your car sit idling all day, but for not knowing everyday whether or not you'll be coming home to your family it is a justified salary.

We conservatives believe in the global warming, we just don't believe that it's being caused by our lack of concern for the environment... global warming and cooling have occured on earth since the beginning of time.

Uummmm its called "climate change" now? , for some strange reason? ..... All one needs to do is listen to the brilliance that is Al Gore, to realize that it is real. He proved that in all of his "climate change "debates.

Uummmm its called "climate change" now? , for some strange reason? ..... All one needs to do is listen to the brilliance that is Al Gore, to realize that it is real. He proved that in all of his "climate change "debates.

LOL.. Yes he did!! And.... I never knew that the earths core was a million degrees.. He is brilliant isn't he??. :laugh:

There isn't a real good reason for a patrol vehicle to be left running when the officer is out of it for extended periods of time and it should be shut off. The only exception to this would be K9 vehicles when its warmer than 65 or colder than 30 outside. Short stops like running into a store, out at a call, on a vehicle stop etc... the vehicle is left running for the convenience of being able to jump in and go and in reality the extra gas usage is minimal in these instances.

You almost always see cruisers running when the officer is in them. The radio and other electronics draw incredible amounts of power. Solar panels and backup batteries are good ideas but also added costs and extra things that will most likely malfunction at one time or another taking the vehicle out of service and creating another repair bill. Besides if the vehicle is turned on and off as they should they aren't really necessary.

Long story short, the vehicle at the post office probably should have been shut off while the officer watching the soccer game should have remained running.

• Like 1

They leave the heaters on in the cold weather & leave the AC on all summer, thats why they keep the cars running & thats why they sit in them. The bullit proof vest are hot.

I call them a medieval torture device. Hot and unbelievably uncomfortable.

That was childish and uncalled for. We're here to discuss and debate and hopefully learn something. I have no idea why you are here at all.

maybe you should go back and reread your first two post's.............both contain comments that offer nothing creative and the only reason I can see you added them is in an attempt to insult someone.

Can't speak for the coppers but our firetrucks have MDT's as well(,moblie data terminals) while parked in quarters we have to plug them in with a power cord while the rig is off and parked.

As for the Trooper watching his kids game,ok he's in his patrol district ready to respond to calls, whats the beef? Like a life guard ,nobody's drowning he's getting a nice tan checking out chicks, while I paid a few grand to go on vaction at that beach. I got no problem with that and Im happy he/she is there if my kids get in trouble.

I guess the trooper should sit outside the game and ticket folks for not using signals while pulling out, then everyone will be happy !

Sometimes there are reasons for things you don;t undertsand,just ask ! I've had people come up the the rig and complain that it was running while parked. the taxpayer buying fuel thing. then i'd explain,"its under 32 degrees and we need to keep the pumps running so the lines don;t freeze up.

There is always someone with a hard on,most have no idea what the deal is .

I had a guy film me flushing a leaking gas tank into the storm drain, he called the chiefs office and the news !! If he just walked over id have explained, we called pure waters and had permision to flush the tank.

So just ask, you might just learn something !

Can't speak for the coppers but our firetrucks have MDT's as well(,moblie data terminals) while parked in quarters we have to plug them in with a power cord while the rig is off and parked.

As for the Trooper watching his kids game,ok he's in his patrol district ready to respond to calls, whats the beef? Like a life guard ,nobody's drowning he's getting a nice tan checking out chicks, while I paid a few grand to go on vaction at that beach. I got no problem with that and Im happy he/she is there if my kids get in trouble.

I guess the trooper should sit outside the game and ticket folks for not using signals while pulling out, then everyone will be happy !

Sometimes there are reasons for things you don;t undertsand,just ask ! I've had people come up the the rig and complain that it was running while parked. the taxpayer buying fuel thing. then i'd explain,"its under 32 degrees and we need to keep the pumps running so the lines don;t freeze up.

There is always someone with a hard on,most have no idea what the deal is .

I had a guy film me flushing a leaking gas tank into the storm drain, he called the chiefs office and the news !! If he just walked over id have explained, we called pure waters and had permision to flush the tank.

So just ask, you might just learn something !

Good point...