My 2012-13 Shed Journal.

WNY Bowhunter

While it's still a bit early yet to do any serious shedding, I did a little scouting at one of my best spots today to see what kind of deer sign was in the snow. Lots of tracks and two dead deer. The first one appeared to be a smaller doe (head was gone) and 70 yds away laid this little 7-pt. Tried to pop his antlers off but they were firmly attached. Too small to deal with so I left him out in the field as I found him...

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Alright WNYB! Looking forward to following along with your shed hunts this year! I really enjoy a good shed journal.

You got off to a great start with that early first antler. I can't wait to get a look at the other side and a few of the other horns you got running that farm!

Too bad about the young 7pt. Safe to say darn near any bucks you post got some serious potential if they can survive the first few years. Good luck this season!

Went to check trailcams today before the big snow storm that we are supposed to be getting hits.

This nice little 8-pt has been a regular visitor for the past few weeks. Here he is on x-mas eve with both antlers...

IMAG0032.jpg

Few hours later...

IMAG0264.jpg

I started checking around all of the tracks in the snow thinking maybe I'd get lucky and find it. An hour later I'd pretty much given up all hope...there was just too much sign to check over for one little dinky shed. I followed some tracks back towards me truck scanning the ground as I went along until I felt something under my foot...I looked down and saw....shed #2 for the season!!! Sometimes it's far better to lucky than good. I'll take it either way.

IMG_0041.jpg

The circle is where I got the pics of him earlier...

IMG_0042g.jpg?t=1356550411

This is the beginning of my 6th season of serious shed hunting and this little 4-pt antler makes shed #80 for me!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Dang man, congrats on #2 for the year! I think these bucks may be trying to tell us something with these early drops.

Keep finding them at this pace and there wont be any left for March,lol

Based on all the deer that we took in at the family butchershop this year I didn't see where they were in any worse shape than in previous seasons. Actually, all of the does were loaded with fat...

Found #3 today while checking some deer sign on the way to work. This baby was laying out in a hayfield half buried in the snow 20 yds off of the road. I had to bust through a snow drift in sneakers and jeans to get it but it was well worth it. Gotta love those road sheds!!! I'm gonna see if I can match it up in the morning.

It's my biggest 3-pt shed to date, the G2 was 10 inches. Sorry, no ATL as I didn't have my camera in the truck with me...

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

I believe that it had been on the ground for less than 12 hours...

IMG_0049.jpg

On the hoof...

PICT0009.jpg?t=1357195086

1/6/13:

Sheds #6-9...

I would probably have to say that today ranks as my best day of shed hunting ever... icon_cool.gif!!! After all, this is NY...not the mid-west.

Started the day off looking for the other side to the big 6-pt. I started scanning all of the fresh deer sign in the field. The deer have definately been spending time out here...

IMG_0057.jpg?t=1357514724

IMG_0058.jpg?t=1357514703

It didn't take very long and I spotted what I was looking for laying on top of the snow!!! I know it wasn't there when I last checked on thursday...

Shed #6:

IMG_0059.jpg?t=1357514688

IMG_0060.jpg?t=1357514578

IMG_0061.jpg?t=1357514560

A few minutes later I spied more tines sticking up...

Shed #7 was the match to #5 from thursday:

IMG_0064.jpg?t=1357514546

IMG_0065.jpg?t=1357514532

The day wasn't over yet...

I headed up to the upper end of the field. The deer usually hit this area up pretty good too. I saw what appeared to be a nice row of tines sticking up. Upon closer inspection I was shocked to see that the antler was bigger than I initially thought and better yet, the match was laying right next to it!!! It's my largest set to date.

These babies weren't here when I last checked on thursday either. There was actually still drops of blood on the snow in the vicinity...

IMG_0068.jpg?t=1357514480

IMG_0069.jpg?t=1357514465

IMG_0070.jpg?t=1357514447

Last February, I found this same buck's sheds laying together in the same field. There was a little less snow at the time...

IMG_1035hh.jpg

IMG_1036ff.jpg

Man, I need a farm that holds bucks like that!

Sadly I only have one cornfield to hike, and as you know, that's tough shedding. Awesome antlers!

Honestly, I don't even bother to search cornfields any more (unless they have a TON of sign)...just too much work for the returns that I've gottten in the past. The series of fields where I was searching yesterday is a little honeyhole...I've snagged 20 sheds from them in the past three seasons. There are probably some more little ones buried under the snow right now, but I won't bother with them until the snow melts off.

Good luck.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

just got back from shed hunting and i left at 8:30 this morning got back here at 1:oo and i found nothing but i did see 4 bucks with antlers still . one had half a rack

looked all over where he was sleeping but didnt find the other side going again tomarrow anyone want to go with me:)