NYSDEC Plans for State Forest Management

wztirem

I hope the new plan when they do cut some of the funds received will go back to the area were the forrest was cut. I also would like to see those funds then used to plant some food plots and or tree that will bear food for wild life. I lived next to the Pharsalia state game lands and we had in the area over 20,000 acreas of state lands. They would cut the red pine for paper mills and the funds would go down state.

If you look at Patterson's stradegy of squeezing every nickle out of any available resource, how can this plan be any different?

Maybe it's a plan for selling off the state lands one board foot at a time.... :P . Like Bill says, what a great way to bolster the state's general fund. I think probably it is about time that some organized plan of action was designed and implemented for state forests. However it is one more thing that we are going to have to watch closely. The opportunities for improper use of state natural resources is huge. Do I trust these critters in govt? Nah ...... not really. Especially in NYS.

Doc

There's no way I'm going to read all that. probably should though. Anybody who buries their plans in that much BS has to be hiding something or covering something up :P . I'll probably just scan through it hoping that some of the important stuff jumps out at me ......  :-\ .

Doc

Read 1/2 and skimmed through the rest.

Up front the plan states this is in response to DEC budget cuts and hiring freezes.

Lot of BS about how they are required to maintain all the eco/bio systems and plan on continuing this.

THEN - increase revenues from forest products. Cut more timber!

At the same time protecting these timber resources from disease, insects and wildlife.

Specifically addressed deer and their browsing nature could damage this resource.

DEC want more involvement by commumities, organizations and volunteers in maintaining these resources.

Kinda like the "Adopt-A-Hiway", only abopt a forest, trail, building, etc.

A sugar-coated plan filled with BS and a blattant attempt to increase revenues from state forests.

Well, I'm not sure I'm against using the resources for forest management expenses. I'm just afraid that that is not where the money will go. The idea of logging is a good forest management practice, but I would want the proceeds from that to pay for new habitat improvement and re-forestation projects, not buying HD-TV for some welfare recipient.

Doc

There's no way I'm going to read all that. probably should though. Anybody who buries their plans in that much BS has to be hiding something or covering something up :) . I'll probably just scan through it hoping that some of the important stuff jumps out at me ......  :-\ .

Doc

The draft could have been summarized in less than 5 pages.

Pretty sure that's DEC's hope that the general public will be overwhelmed by the 348 pages of BS.

Probably about 2/3 of the draft contains background & historical info. Interesting reading, but merely "filler".

IMHO - The plan is attempting to win the vote of the environmentalist and general public as opposed to any true conservationists. The basic premise of the plan is terrific news, but the hidden agenda is strictly financial gain.

The draft plan contradicts itself in at least a couple of places that I noticed.

Gives history of NY deforestation and how NY Forest Lands were established to prevent further denuding.

Interesting comparison of late 1700s surveyor notes on amount of forestation in Finger Lakes to current Google interactive maps.

Categorizes current timber age & structure and attempts to justify increasing timber harvest.

Goes into detail about preserving forests for wildlife habitat and recreational usage.

Then they discuss how to prevent wildlife damage to these resources.

They even mentioned high fences as a means of preserving timber from deer browsing.

Also mentioned possibility of area specific increased DMPs to preserve these resources.

I'd like to see the draft of the plan before I make assumptions.

First glance (to me) appears they are attempting to get more revenues from the state forests...?

My guess is that the draft will be a sugar-coated business plan. Have to see!!

Yep many people have been telling the DEC they need to really, really start managing the trees. In 1993 when the ice storm hit the trees took a big loss. After some inspection it revealed just how many healthy large trees were ruined. Most of it made good firewood, but board lumber is worth more to the economy. (That is if its logged and milled local)

Now that the forest are full of pest that are killing the trees it will be interesting to see how fast the response is to harvest the trees before the are all worm food.

manage the land, sounds alittle scary for people who can't even manage the state? as far as funds being used to provide welfare recipients with flat screen TV's i doubt it, more likely to cover pensions.

Or to give another "Green Grant" to some unknown professional community service worker. :P