New World's Fastest Production Rimfire

dbHunterNY

I think that I will skip it as I have my eye on a .17 Hornet. I have a .22 mag already that I'm happy with and I don't have a centerfire rifle smaller than a .30 caliber. Being a centerfire the .17 Hornet seems more practical to me because I can reload it.

This guy give it a good review.

his opinion is a little bias because he's a winchester man. i don't have doubts it'll be good... an ammunition company wouldn't put in years of R&D and funding to introduce a dud. how popular it'll become is up for speculation.... i'm probably going to buy on though.

Definitely biased, the round he used for the 17 HMR doesn't seem fair for the comparison. Also, last I looked into it, the 17 HMR beats out the .22 WMR after 150 yards, but his numbers clearly does not show that.

I'm skeptical of his numbers.

he simply picked popular rounds. i agree though, a better comparison would've been between a 30gr Vmax 22WMR and a 17gr Vmax 17HMR and the other guns. then you're definitely right the 17 HMR only is surpassed by the 22WMR when it comes to energy and only in the first 100 yards. Every else the 17HMR proves to be a better round. makes sense. the 17HMR was meant to replace the 22 WMR. don't think it matters what round he used when comparing with this new super mag though... simply a bigger bullet and bigger thicker case... no surprise it's going to out perform the other calibers. heard of issues with reloading hornet cases and their availability. despite the velocity, accuracy still seems to be there. i think if someone is looking for a rifle in this range it's a very promising.

Edited by dbHunterNY

dbHunter, no doubt the numbers on the 17 WSM is a superior rimfire round compared to the other magnums, no doubting that. But a fair comparison should be made, especially in a comparison of that caliber and the work put into that video. Makes him look like a fool to not use the proper rounds for comparison.

And my original point was how much better is this round bs the existing 17 HMR? How many people will sell theirs to get this one? Is it any better of a coyote killer than the HMR? Obviously some feel that this round is a game changer and will take body shots on coyotes.

The 17HMR and 22WMR filled the void between the 22LR and the 223. Rightfully so. It looks like this new 17 super mag fills the void between the 17HMR/22WMR and the 223. The problem I think is that there isn't a game animal out there that's fits in between those two calibers. As in, there isn't an animal where the 17HMR is under powered and at the same time, the 223 was over powered and/or too expensive.

No but adding range in a rimfire would appeal to some that may yote hunt during deer season where centerfires aren't allowed. In that case it adds to the upper end and does not "fill in" becasue the 223 is not an option then and there.

• Like 1

No but adding range in a rimfire would appeal to some that may yote hunt during deer season where centerfires aren't allowed. In that case it adds to the upper end and does not "fill in" becasue the 223 is not an option then and there.

I wonder how big of a market that's going to be. There's always the danger that the general public won't catch on and those who jump on the bandwagon early might end up getting stuck with a rifle that parts and ammo won't be readily available in the future. Who knows. 5 years or so from now, I would have gotten good use out of my 17HMR and the 17WSM becomes test and proven, I just might switch over.

Wouldn't be the first chambering that went no where. At least in a centerfire you can reload it. In a rimfire you are stuck with factory.

The fact that you can't reload it is one big reason why I would not buy one..

However, this rimfire round is a BIG ballistic advance over the closest rimfire competitor, the .17 HMR, ESPECIALLY if it is offered with a bullet that is capable of penetrating enough to anchor game the size of a coyote. A barnes X comes to mind, along with numerous other tough bullets such as the Nosler partition or perhaps some of the tougher bonded bullets made by several of the bullet manufacturers.

Given the proper bullet, this chambering would kick coyote ass at ranges significantly longer than those approached by the .22 WRM or the .17 HRM..