Jerky gun

crappyice

How many pounds of meat? How long will it keep if not eaten immediately! lol

I used almost 4 pounds , i broke it into smaller portions after it was done and wrap them in paper towles and put into plastic bags in the fridge left open to let moisture escape . If the paper towel gets moist i change them.Mine didn't sit around too long once i ate my share and gave some away.

DON'T BOTHER WITH A JERKY GUN, SPREAD YOUR GROUND VENISON ON ACOOKIE SHEET THE DESIRED THICKNESS , PLACE THE TRAY IN THE FREZER, TO FIRM UP AND SLICE THE SIZE STRIPS YOU WANT , THEN DEHYDRATE OR CURE IN THE OVEN .

This sounds like a really good idea. Could be a great idea.

Is it a good idea or a great idea? lol ...

i've done ground jerky for a while now.... i usually do 10 lbs at a time. cut the amount of curing salt and seasoning by half. then i add brown sugar depending on what else i use. i'll use BBQ sauce and/or steak sauces and mix in with it. the jerky gun will help keep the thickness consistent.

• 3 months later...

save yourself the grinding time..... take a pack of stew meat or steaks or any other part, and partially thaw. without separating the pieces, slice 3/16 slabs off. (a knife works, i use my meat slicer) liberally coat both side with your favorite spice mix.(most commercial spice mixes have lots of salt so no curing salt is needed) let soak overnight.  place in the smoker/dehydrator until dry. i toss mine in the smoker for an hour or so then the dehydrator for another 12 or so. prep time is less than  20min, cook time takes way to long, and eat time ....gone by lunch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i dont use ground meat. tried it once and it just didnt have the same feel as sliced and dehydrated meat. personally i always take about 10lbs. of meat and slice it about 1/8 in thick and then marinade it for 2 days.

if you want try this receipt.

1/4cup soy sauce

1/4cup worshishire sauce

2 tablespoons garlic salt, onion pwder, cajun spice(any cajun spice will work), red pepper flakes, black pepper.

2 teaspoons of brown sugar

2 cap fulls of liquid smoke

mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a wisk. add meat strips, cover and plac ein fridge for 2 days. I turn the meat everytime i open the fridge for anything. just flip it around a little so all meat is constantly getting the juice on it. then either dehydrate or cook on lowest oven setting until dry.

FYI- if you want it spicy, add black pepper or red pepper flakes when meat is laid out on racks for a spicy mix.

My father has a always cut strips and dehydrated and it's excellent. He got a jerky gun for Christmas and tried the oven and dehydrated, but neither had good results. The jerky tasted wicked funky and has an awful crumbly texture to it. My father knows his way around a kitchen and venison so I don't think it's anything he did. Needless to say we stick to the cut and dehydrate now using a jerky bored to make even slices.