So how about those ACORNS?!

Geno C

anyone else notice the abundance this year in the acorn harvest? there huge and theres a ton of them which should make for some good natural forage for the deer. around my house is loaded up already...

i also have a chestnut tree slamming my yard with chestnuts! guess its going to be a harsh winter as they say? 

I know 1 white oak with a bumper crop this year. Whats weird is 30 yards from it there's a red with only a handfull this year. And, another 40 yards from that another pair of white oaks with only a handfull between them.

Here is why.. I got this from some tree lovers web site because I remembered my Dad telling me about it as a youngster. (I do have a memory I guess)

The masting cycle:

Much of the variability in acorn production is the result of a natural cycle in oaks called "masting".

In this cycle, oaks produce low or moderate acorn crops most years, and an abundant acorn crop once every two to five years.

Acorn production during an abundant crop year may be 80 percent higher than in a low production year; the difference to deer can be hundreds of pounds of acorns per acre

Has to be the smell between the two types. when I took my bow hunter ed course years back the instructor brought in a bunch of acors and had us taste them.....he broke them open and the meaty inside we tasted. It was amazing how much better the taste of the White acorns were. I can understand, given a choice, why deer prefer them