State Senate passes gun control legislation

State Senate passes gun control legislation

By: Learn how.

install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

ALBANY, N.Y. -- For weeks, legislative leaders and Governor Andrew Cuomo have been negotiating a package of gun control measures. And exactly 30 days after the Newtown school shooting, the governor sent lawmakers a 78 page bill.

"This is a scourge on society, people have had to live through these tragedies, tragedy after tragedy and people have to ask themselves at what point so you get it? At what point so you say enough?" Governor Cuomo asked.

The bill bans assault weapons, including those manufactures before 1994. That's when New York State last banned assault weapons and guns prior to that date were grandfathered in.

"I think the message out there is clear after Newtown to get us down this road as quickly as possible to basically eradicate assault weapons from our streets in New York as quickly as possible," said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

The legislation will limit magazines or clips to seven rounds. There are also several provisions in the bill requested by republicans.

Senator Tom Libous said, "Listen, there have been a number of issues that were discussed over the last 30 days on this bill. We had been fighting for things we believe in and they were tougher penalties for people who commit a crime with a gun. Tougher penalties for people with mental illness."

The bill expands Kendra's Law ,which gives judges discretion over treatment for mental illness, including involuntary commitment.

Governor Cuomo says Newtown and an incident in Western New York where firefighters were shot and killed prompted him to act quickly.

"I think after what happened in Connecticut and what happened at home here in Webster, this issue jumped to the forefront. I think the people of the state said they want something done and they want so something done right away," Cuomo said.

This was the first action on any piece of legislation by the new legislature. A signature piece of Governor Cuomo's State of the State Address last week, this now allows Cuomo to focus on his other priorities for the session.

Cuomo holds briefing

Governor Cuomo held a briefing on his gun legislation on Monday night. You can watch that in its entirety below.

Governor Cuomo held a briefing on his gun legislation on Monday night. You can watch that in its entirety below.

GovCuomo3c1e13d2-6c10-4f0a-af8a-7f19f9e9d862.Jpg

To view our videos, you need to

enable Javascript. Learn how.

install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Edited by HuntOrBeHunted

I want to know exactly which senators voted for this bill. And then, I want gun owners to follow through with their threat to use their votes against these people. To me that is the next logical step. If these guys are successful at thumbing their noses at gun owners without penalty, then the floodgates of firearms bans and legislated harrassment of legal firearms owners will explode in this state and eventually across the country. It's time to put up or shut up!