This one will not get another vote

• Response from Senator Casey‏

clear.gifclear.gif

invis.gif Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr.

Add to contacts

To: me

From: Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr. ([email protected])clear.gif Sent: Fri 1/18/13 7:13 PM To: me

Dear Mr. Thompson:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Bob Casey

United States Senator

i was watching the news as the found the ar in the trunk of his mothers black honda civic.. i wonder who either drugged or blackmailed the medical examiner before his statement

watch that video closely..............looks more like a semi auto shotgun...........something along the lines of a saiga 12ga

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that the first thing that went through the responding Department's mind's was that his was a good chance to turn it into a campaign against gun ownership...and to suggest the medical examiner lied in his report to further an agenda is even more unbelievable....all involved will probably be haunted by this for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

still doesnt take away the fact that it shows them removing it from the trunk

It's not a fact unless you have concrete evidence proving it as such......take a glance at a video or photo that was taken from 1000 feet away and than being asked to swear to what you saw as fact......I'd put my money on the professional's who dealt with it first hand, you're suggesting that dozen's of people put their job's and reputation's on the line to lie about the fact's...take a second and think about that.

Edited by jjb4900

watch that video closely..............looks more like a semi auto shotgun...........something along the lines of a saiga 12ga

Agreed..

I already posted on another thread,the actual TV footage ( I watched it on the TV like a lot of you people did) that IMHO showed it WAS a 12G shotty round being ejected,if that IS a 223 round,holy crap! it's a big 223.I know how big they are,I qualified in the service in 82.How much more can we really expect here,OR what do you WANT to be seen beyond the obvious? Come on already,this is really getting stupid.

Edited by Single_shot

or look at it this way, you're one of the first responder's on scene, as you enter the building, the first thing you see is the bodies of children lying everywhere, then the stench of blood enters your nostrils, as you try to move forward looking for the shooter you notice you have a hard time moving as your boots keep slipping on the fresh blood...do you really believe that anyone looked at their partner and said "hey this is a great opportunity to further our fight to ban weapons"............digest that for awhile before you make outrageous accusations.

• Like 1

Look, at this point it really doesn't matter what was used. The antis already had their minds made up that they were going to use this event for their crusade against those evil looking "assault rifles". The guy could have been in there with a Saturday Night Special (remember that term ...lol), and the Cuomo bill would have come out with exactly the same wording and restrictions. And it would have been crammed through the law-making process at record speed. And it would have been signed by Cuomo on the same day that it turned out that he signed it.

Now the issue is how do we get rid of it. Let's get focused on that now.

did i say the cops and firemen/ emts who first got there said any of this.. no i said medical examiner. where you get this first responder thing is a mystery i dont think we will ever know. and yes this was the PERFECT excuse that the politicians who are against guns had to go forth in banning them.. let this digest for you the blood and bodies of those innocent children werent even cold yet by the time these people were ranting on cnn and msnbc about how bad the evil assault weapons are and how we should wake up and see that civilians dont need these evil devil guns. before the "evidence" of the long rifle even being on scene there were remarks flooding the tv and internet about banning ars and aks, etc etc etc

i opened my eyes and saw something that day, i saw the rights of law abiding citizens such as myself and im sure others from this site, violated and stomped onto the ground, i saw politicians jump to help further their own political careers, i saw a criminal not obey a single gun law that day and by making new laws people feel that the criminals performing these outrageous acts will start following them, im not expert but im pretty sure criminals dont think like that.

do i agree with SOME parts of the bill, yes i do, there should be a database and records for mentally unstable people, this bill should have focused more on the people of the state/ country but going after firearms was the complete wrong direction to go about solving this problem

p.s sorry for the rant guys

• Like 1

I'm not saying the medical examiner lied, but he didn't do himself any favors in answering the questions. Watch the video. He didn't exactly convince me he believed anything he was saying in his body language, use of language, and eye contact. It was a simple question, not a convincing answer.

• Like 1