Pick a spot

sweet old bill

I had a buddy I use to shoot NFAA with and he was a outstanding shot on paper. But come the hunting season he failed in one area and that was he did not take the time to pick a spot. Look at that shoulder and the magic spot and pick a off color hair. The smaller the spot you aim out the better off you will be. It go so bad for him that when he had a 10 point buck walk pass and stand next to our orange tape for 25 yards he put two arrows over the back onto a big oak tree that were 8 feet off the ground. He continued to shoot at the total deer and or the rack.

Look at that shoulder and the magic spot and pick a off color hair. The smaller the spot you aim out the better off you will be.

This is BY FAR the BEST ADVICE you can give anyone who hunts (be it gun or archery)!!!  I emphasize to myself and others while practicing to 'call your shot'.  The smaller the call... the better the shot (e.g.: 6 o'clock, 2 o'clock, or 4 o'clock in the black ring).

The only time it did not work for me was about 12 years ago on opening day of gun. I heard a shot in back of me and turned to look and as I did one of the biggest bucks I ever saw in the woods jumped over my ground blind and was really moving. I got the gun up but he was going so fast in very heavy brush all I could see clearly was his white tail and horns. So I let him go. A fellow down the road from me with his two sons was able to take him the next day. He was over 200 lbs and 10 points...

When my sons were beginning to hunt, I set a 12 foot ladder stand in our yard., Then a Buck 3-D target at 23 yds. They shot and shot until there was no kill zone left. That year they both took nice Deer ( big doe and 6 pt) They both told me they picked a spot and let it go. Both Deer were easy recoveries,There is no better way to feel confident when a Deer is in range.

I picked up a glendale buck target this year after spending the last year practicing on a block target. Strangley enough, I find myself hitting the kill zone MORE accurately on the buck target than on the block. I think it is becasue of what you are all saying. I need to focus on old holes in a sea of brown as opposed to brightly colored bullseyes. Greater focus=greater results...hopefully on the ones walking around too!

Very good advise. I have had that issue more than once! It happens to me when a deer gets up to shooting distance by surprise and I rush. My best cure so far is target practice to really focus on telling yourself every time to pick a spot. crease, hair....just something small.