cover plant

Not ground but movement and view....I've mentioned I use corn and have tried a few things to block road side attention...Things used while waiting for the pine trees to fill in...I as you all know live in the cold hills in the finger lakes...I experiment a lot and have found that clumping bamboo is an option...especially in moist areas that can flood in the spring but drain relatively quickly...here is how one such clump has faired in these below zero temps and after heavy snows last month..pics taken today...

Edited by growalot

We have Family in the Howard area that own a very lg. dairy farm.....Years ago he told me there isn't too much you need to do for corn on a first year planting and that it will do well in a lower ...not too low ...ph...well sure enough he was right the following year though you need to replenish the fertilizer and continue increasing the ph

Bamboo is bad, it does take over. My fathers house growing up had it in yard and they live on Saranac lake.

I had it my yard where i lived in Henrietta. I had to dig up roots all the time to keep it to one area, and cut it so i could see pulling out.

Not that I've noticed and Yes and no on the spread...This is a clump I planted in the corner of a garden area..actually asparagus patch 12 years or so ago ...as you see it has stayed in a small area....This garden spot I abandoned pretty much after the farmers fields flooding each spring killed the asparagus. Then a buck got caught up in the fencing and destroyed that then took out two nectarines and a peach tree. Afterwards I got busy with plotting so this bamboo has been let to do it's thing since. IMO growing to this size in 12 yrs...hasn't been a problem for me.

You have to do the research on clumping varieties... anyways a idea I thought to share with the results that I've gotten

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Right Sam...... but it is the Miscanthus Giganteus hybrid one would want....It is a hybrid sterile plant that yes spreads by plant propagation...some others in the genus are considered invasive in their spreading through wild life...it also doesn't require as much moisture and grows on less fertile soils...

You got it Grow. It is being grown in Canada as a livestock bedding and biofuel alternative. It grows quite tall and thick, goes dormant in the winter (which is when it is harvested), and then regenerates fully from the roots again in the spring. It is expensive at the moment and can only be established by planting rhizomes.

Edited by sampotter