Finding your first Bow

Dorsilfin

Wow, didnt expect such a flood of information. Thanks so much everyone for the input and discussion.

The shop did use a bow to measure my drawl length that had all kinds of adjustable cams on it to change the draw, and I had a "release" but it was just a hook similar to a release so that i wouldnt accidentally fire an empty bow

They had me pull back showed me the basic form and pull back and measures me at my nose touching the string.

not sure if thats the "ballpark" method or something maybe they do, but I felt like the tech guy was pretty solid and had no interest in selling me anything just showing me a bit about the bows and doing the draw tests.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason you see that is because 95% of the people who have incorrect DL have TOO LONG of a DL. Release and loops do not affect DL. They affect your anchor point.

You are correct that it doesn't change your actual length but it changes your perception of the length and you have to adjust your anchor point to accommodate this.A 30" inch draw is still 30" with or without a bow loop but if you tried the anchor your bow the same as you would it won't feel right. I have never heard any experinced archer recommend changing your style to accommodate the bow but rather change the bow to accommodate you. Hence a slightly shorter draw length or adjust your release something to compenstate the difference.

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

I have never been very hip on used bows on-line for you never know what will show up. For the money take a peek at a Mission Riot. It's fully adustable to meet most draw lengths and it's made by one of the best in the business, Mathews. The bow costs $399 which is the price of most used bows and you get a lifetime warantee.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search and post pics of your new bow.

see what your shop has in new modertly priced new bow i bought the pse deer hunter in 08 still shooting it i bougtht as a pack age a great start ready to shoot they call it about $300- 500 . my idea is get your form down first [shoot a low end bow well than a high end bow poorly ] you can always up grade and PRACTICE

You are correct that it doesn't change your actual length but it changes your perception of the length and you have to adjust your anchor point to accommodate this.A 30" inch draw is still 30" with or without a bow loop but if you tried the anchor your bow the same as you would it won't feel right. I have never heard any experinced archer recommend changing your style to accommodate the bow but rather change the bow to accommodate you. Hence a slightly shorter draw length or adjust your release something to compenstate the difference.

Ever see Dave Watson? Lots of people doing that but not nearly as proficient.

Archerytalk has some good deals and good people on there. If you want to try a sweet shooter for hunting and shooting all summer try Elite Archery, there is also an elite forum with good deals on a quality bow you will have for years to come. I hold on to my bows for 10 years because I buy quality, top of the line bows and take care of them, keep my strings waxed, but buy new strings when needed. You can buy a used top of the line bow and will be fine.

Edited by nycredneck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

welcome to the madness- go and shoot as many as you can, find one that feels best for you, and see if your pro shop has a used set up - look on ebay or in the classifieds as others have mentioned, read the online pdf, nuts and bolts of archery 

http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

and shoot as much as you can, my girl friend and i shot all winter in our apartment ( we had a 14 yard stretch living room to bed room) springs here so you should be golden.

good luck, 

newbee..