DEC Bowhunter's Sightings Log

nyslowhand

I had done the Bowhunter sightings Log for several years and then they quit doing it . They said they stopped due to lack of participation . I got the survey last year in the mail and completed it . None this year . I think the guys at the DEC are Dumb asses !

I tried to do an e-mail but it required me to add a new e-mail host which I won't do . I now use Windows Live .

I had this sent to me ..........

i kno that some people dont bother and think its a small group that makes up the numbers and thats it but its the hunters them selves that help make up the regulations and tag limits for the state not a political group

hunters them selves are a dying breed but we make a difference one person at a time

I put a call into Art Kirsch at the Region 8 office in East Avon and left a message with his assistant to see if they were going to do a survey this season . Can you believe some years they havn't been able to get 75 - 100 participants to do the survey !  ???  It's a simple thing to do . The hardest part is trying to talk to someone other than a receptionist !  >:(

Art Kirch ---------- 585-226-2466

I put a call into Art Kirsch at the Region 8 office in East Avon and left a message with his assistant to see if they were going to do a survey this season . Can you believe some years they havn't been able to get 75 - 100 participants to do the survey !  ???  It's a simple thing to do . The hardest part is trying to talk to someone other than a receptionist !  >:( 

Art Kirch ---------- 585-226-2466

Eddie,

If you do get in contact with him, please find out exactally what happens to the supplied log info.

Pretty generic description on the web page.

Like to think it was useful info they used to evaluate population density & potential DMP allotments....?

I called the Avon office twice today and left a voice message and I also called the Albany office once and did the same . No one has returned my call . What is ironic is that I got a 10 year participant patch in the mail today .

Do the DEC guys hang out at the Donut Shop like the cops ? They sure as hell don't stay in their office ........... >:(

One of the best things we can do is to report every kill and encourage everyone we know to do the same.

Pretty sure that's not how the DEC estimates deer populations and the allotment of DEC per unit.

Yes, you are correct - every humter must report all kills for DEC to be able to evaluate sucess rates.

Do the DEC guys hang out at the Donut Shop like the cops ? They sure as hell don't stay in their office ........... >:P

On the contrary, I'd be upset if they answered the phone every time it rang.

They should be out in the field most of their day.

Eddie:

If you want to enroll in the survey, PM me with your info & I'll forward it.

Or try this guy, he must be the one responsible for administering the bowhunter survey:

(He's the one that responded to my request)

J. Edward Kautz  Wildlife Biometrician

NYS DEC, Bureau of Wildlife

625 Broadway, 5th Floor

Albany, NY 12233-4754

518-402-8882    FAX: 518-402-9027

[email protected]

Actually nevermind, here is the email to join the bow hunting log program, just copy and paste that email into whatever email client you use.

[email protected]

As it states on the web page:

"To participate or get more information about the Bowhunter Sighting Log, please e-mail  us. Please provide your name, address, hunter ID (back tag number), a list of the counties where you hunt, and whether or not you have participated in New York's bowhunter log in any previous year. Thank you for your interest."

One of the best things we can do is to report every kill and encourage everyone we know to do the same.

Pretty sure that's not how the DEC estimates deer populations and the allotment of DEC per unit.

Yes, you are correct - every humter must report all kills for DEC to be able to evaluate sucess rates.

The reports are part of the equation they use.

Would be a far greater factor if compliance was not so pitiful.

Just as a side note, I have requested information from the DEC via email over the past few months and have received zero response.  Granted, they prob receive a lot of emails, however, not one response other then one for requesting the log book.  I asked for historical stats by WMU, I asked for more info on AR, I asked for historical data on the bow hunters log.  Not one response.  If they had this data available publicly as they should I would not ask.  This is our agency that we pay for, its kind of sad that the data is not available for public consumption in one form or another expecially in this day and age when everything is stored in databases.

The DEC sucks as far as communicating with the public . I received a letter in the mail a couple years ago that they were discontinuong one of the surveys they did in Region for lack of participants . They needed 75 - 100 and were only getting 60 people . Sixty ! I wrote back and told them that if they would give those 60 people an advance notice , then they could probably each get at least 5 (or more) of their acquaintances to participate . I never got a reply .

I had sent it to Arthur Kirsch at the Avon office . He doesn't answer the phone either . Busy man !  ::) .... ::) .... ::)