Best All Around Small Game Caliber?

Rev Ev

Since it doesn't look like I will be getting a black gun anytime soon for too many reasons, I thought about expanding my search for a new varmint/small game/rodent gun. I'm probably buying a TC Dimension ( I like the platform, not the looks) so there are several calibers to choose from. I will be targeting anything from coyotes and pigs to groundhogs. I'm leaning towards 22-250 or .223, but willing to listen to any thoughts. I'm looking for thoughts on what will do the job on most of these animals, but not so much "pink mist". And just to stay on topic, I'm really only looking for caliber comments not so much on "this gun is best". Looking forward to hearing some thoughts.

Light recoil. Cheap to reload. More than enough ummph for any thing you mentioned. See your impact on target.

Do you know what the twist is in the barrel? If it is 1-9 or 1-8 you can load some pretty heavy bullets. 1-12 kind of tops out around 60gr. I believe.

Fun, fun, fun!

depends on your hunting area. we hunt alot of close up brushy areas, and you cant beat a shot gun for under 50 yards. yotes at night close in, very effective. wood chucks? how long are your fields? at 250 yrds or less any of the 22 cal centerfires will serve you well. (i use a 222 rem) longer fields need a more umpf. getting into 6 or 6.5 mm mags will get you out to the 1000 yrd ground hogs and dogs. so a t/c with multiple (6 or 7) barrels may be the best choice!

223,22-250 22 swift...all is good.BUT if you do not reload,finding 223 ammo can be a ball buster ....for now,maybe for quite some time,I dunno. 22 Hornet is sweet too and 204 Ruger.

EDIT: Yeah,6mm too...according to Remington,the load I have is dead on @400 from my Mod 722 244Rem. I have the letter somewhere but not gonna look for it.

Edited by Single_shot

223.... I was shooting a friends Savage bolt gun (.223) last week. Crazy accurate, light recoil. Im sure it will handle the game you are after. I know a couple guys that successfully bag deer with .223's every year. Finding .223 ammo for it might be a problem, but finding any ammo right now isn't easy.

Posted Today, 04:52 AM

a sling shot with rocks that all we will have left when they get thru with us hunters.

SLINGSHOTS

NEW YORK STATE Gun Laws - SLINGSHOTS slingshots-catapults-law.gif slingshots-catapults-s9law.gif

WITH wrist-brace

NOT OK - ILLEGAL

NO wrist-brace

OK - LEGAL

SECTION 265.01

265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:

(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or etc.,

Personally having limited guns...I see no problem with the 243 as an all around critter getter

Where are you at 100 yards, 200 yards?

A 6mm is much better choice for squirrel !!

I can't locate the data that Remington sent me.It could well have been sighted 2" high @ 100 and zero at 400. I do have the load data as far as powder how much and what kind,that's all I can find. I had come up with a load that worked well out of my 244 so I sent the data to rem and they mailed me back with the ballistics.All I remember is that it was zero at 400.

Don't forget that the 244 and 6mm,even though they are concidered the same,there are differences in the 2....such as the first mod 722's have a 1 in 12" twist and the newer(6mm) have 1 in 9".Makes a difference in what bullets they will handle.

Edited by Single_shot

Personally having limited guns...I see no problem with the 243 as an all around critter getter

Perfectly fine.

If a person was looking to get a gun to do the things the OP stated, a 243 wouldn't be my first choice but it is certainly adequate for the tasks.