Antis attack hunting coyotes with hounds

My hounds are run from July 1 until April 15. They get ran 3-5 days a week. They are in great shape. Yes they do catch some and it is almost always done in 5 minutes. The ones that dont get caught get taken out cleanly.

If anybody knows anything about a running pen, they would know that the owner has money invested in it. So to let hounds kill off the game would be costing him money. It just dont happen.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm a private land owner. i do not hunt but, i am not anti. I own a sizable lot and have problems with "houndsmen" running their dogs  across my land to hunt Coyotes. Most i have encountered are arrogant and think that they have a right to do whatever they please, where ever they want. As a private land owner, i  have the right to manage my land however i see fit period. The bigger problem is that the DEC and State police do not want to enforce the laws protecting private land owners because they either favor the hunters and/or are to lazy to do so.  Stating that you can't control where your dog goes after it's released may be true BUT, by law YOU are still responsible for it at all times. Stating that by getting permission by the private land owner at the point of drop off gives you the right to run your dogs through everyones land inbetween is stating that one private property owner has more rights than another which is also wrong.  This is going to be a case that is going to be taken to court. If you don't get permission from every private land owner in the area your dropping off your dogs....then you don't drop off your dogs. Go on state land. This is now a case that goes beyond that of the individual 'Houndsmen" and is now a matter of the rights of a tax paying private land owner to be able to manage  his/her land. If a private land owner does not want your dogs on their land, your not going to run your dogs there period. This is going to if need be, taken all the way to the Supreme Court of the US.

Edited by PLO

9 hours ago, PLO said:

This is going to be a case that is going to be taken to court. If you don't get permission from every private land owner in the area your dropping off your dogs....then you don't drop off your dogs. Go on state land. This is now a case that goes beyond that of the individual 'Houndsmen

First of all you are responding to a post that is 5yrs. old. Hunting on state land is not going to solve the problem because it is not unusual for a coyote to cover 8-10 miles during a chase and may very well end up on private  land.

Most coyote hunters are responsible and make every attempt to obtain permission for the areas they hunt and it is not a common practice to "free cast". That being said it is unlikely that most hunters would be able to obtain permission from every landowner in a 8-10 mile radius.

You can't stop a dog from doing what it is bred to do and it can be very difficult to stop a dog from running a coyote on property his owner does not have permission for.

Most hunters will not pursue their dogs on property they do not have permission for and will attempt to catch it when it comes out on a nearby rd. or area they have permission.

While I have heard both sides of the argument I don't believe the "Supreme Court" will be the one to settle it.

The only way to completely stop it would be to make coyote hunting with hounds illegal.

Landowners are people and coyote hunters are people. When people talk to each other;  problems can get resolved but in today's world everybody wants to stop what the other is doing or wanting without taking the time to understand each other and compromise.

Lighten up and try to understand BOTH sides of the issue.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

He went dove hunting .

I have a friend who runs a team of blue ticks, he spends about two weeks each year , following up,with landowners to make sure he still has permission .

I really should go,with him,   But I’m not sure I could keep up ,he goes 5 or more days a week all season .