Rifle ranges on Long Island?

burmjohn

I went to the Firing Line in Pearl River, NY in Orange County (it's slightly under an hour) but the place was crap.  It was only a 50 feet indoor range.  They only had a kid at the register and that was it.  Maybe I went during a down period.  There's also one actually in the city (West Side Pistol and Rifle Range).  I was told they have a strict policy on high caliber rifles meaning they only allow pistol catridges and .22 rimfires.  I guess rather than eliminate them as an option based on someone else's word of mouth I should just stop in there one day and take a tour.

I'm looking to purchase my first deer rifle (looking at a .308) in the coming months and would want to sight all my stuff in during the summer.

Unfortunately, I think your only bet will be Brookhaven to sight in a deer rifle like a .308.  It's a nice range and all, but just not very close to the city.  The good part is that I think it's open all day 4 or 5 days of the week.  So if you have a day off during the week that will most definitely be the best time to go since the weekends can get crowded, especially close to deer season.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go to Orange county I like Davis in Goshen. Nice 100 yd indoor with electric target return. If you shoot pistol I like Master Class in Monroe. They have loaner guns so you can try a Kimber. Careful you will want to buy one. This is a shorter range but both places have great people running them. Now I want to go to the range. Think I'll hit one on my way to Camp tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot at Calverton recently, and I gotta say, was nice NOT to be tied to the bench.

You can shoot in any position you want, so you get 'field' experience.. I haven't found a shooting bench in the NY woods yet..

Yeah, I remember shooting a pistol on the 100 yard range there. (I dont get to do that a lot)I dont know if you are technicaly alowed to, but there was no one really there that day and they let me. That was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Davis Shooting Sports in Goshen yesterday because I figured traffic to Calverton will be a killer being so close to the Hamptons on Memorial Day Weekend.  The place was nice.  I enjoyed it.  Only issue was being tied to the bench and the hourly rates.  My hour ran out before I was able to finish sighting my last gun and didn't want to pay for another whole hour when I only had 15 minutes of work left.  I figure I'll save that work for next time.  Will check out Calverton next.  Thanks for the recommendations.

• 1 month later...

Went to Calverton over the weekend despite the rain.  I didn't bring tape so I couldn't put up my targets.  Every where else I've been to provided all that stuff.  Yes it was a bit unorganized but at $15 for a full day and the freedom they give you, I'm pretty happy with that place.  I would sight in at Davis in Goshen (the mechanical retrieve is key) but I'll practice at Calverton.  I'll check out Brookhaven next but honestly, if I'm stuck with Calverton, I won't complain.

This makes me really appreciate living out here in the sticks...

I may not be able to get a NY deli pastrami sandwich, BUT, my local gun club has a shooting house with benchrest, 100 yard and 200 yard target butts, and it is open to members all day every day ... For $35 per year.. The only time it gets busy is when they shoot trap and skeet two evenings a week and on weekends. I can go there on weekdays in the morning or early afternoon and usually have the place all to myself.

I also have a friend who has a 300 yard range with a bench rest that is no cost ( to friends with permission) and is open all day every day..

That's want I love about my place up state, can shoot whenever I want. It's all up to me, Bow I have two deer  to shoot at, gun I have a bench rest at 50 and 100 yards.  And I live on Long Island and it's always a hassle to sight in your guns.

Dave

My local gun club is The Addison Fish& Game Club on McCarthy Road in Addison..And I just paid my daily dues this evening and it is $25 per year, rather than the $35 I quoted earlier..Just my rusty memory.

I won't devulve the location of my buddy's 300 yard range, since it is on a dead end road and  is private..

There are a couple of other membership ranges nearby, however.. The Painted Post Field and Stream Club in Gang Mills.. They have a very nice 200 meter range and ample covered benchrests and The Corning Fish & Game Club on Dyke Road near Corning. They both have good facilities for not a whole lot of $$...