Upstate Property Taxes

Geno C

New Yorks educational system has gotten us 200 thousand dollar houses with 12K a year in property/school taxes. Tell me who the hell is gonna buy that? Banks no longer give credit approval on the value of the house but if the prospective buyer can afford the school tax bill or not? Alittle upside down if you ask me.

Where do you get your info from? I don't know any homes on Long Island that are worth 200k and also pay 12000 a year in taxes.

Do you really believe that ny schools caused the collapse of the housing market? It wasn't greedy bankers giving loans out to prospective homebuyers that couldn't afford the ballon mortgages they were applying for? What about the the homeowners who refinanced their homes two or three times for pools and vacations?

pay to play dosent mean each kid has to cough up. I remember while i was in school 2 years in a row, the sports boosters club had to raise the money for football, wrestiling, and lacross, (school only budgeted for soccer and basket ball) and the music boosters raised enough money to cover 3 separate travelling/competing bands and 1 color guard. so the pay to play simply states if you want your kids to participate, get out and run fund raisers, not raise taxes.

The prediction is the city of Rochester will be the first to fall in NY state due to the unsustainable financial burden put on the people by teachers pensions. The city is said to have less than 2 years before they default.

This is the 3rd largest city in the state folks? Others will follow.

Edited by sits in trees

Where do you get your info from? I don't know any homes on Long Island that are worth 200k and also pay 12000 a year in taxes.

Do you really believe that ny schools caused the collapse of the housing market? It wasn't greedy bankers giving loans out to prospective homebuyers that couldn't afford the ballon mortgages they were applying for? What about the the homeowners who refinanced their homes two or three times for pools and vacations?

in many areas assesments are not in line with actual property values. much of central ny was reassesed during the bubble, when the market crashed, values dropped, taxes didn't. Did taxes cause the collapse? in some areas it may have played a part. at this point my tax escrow is more then my mortgage, so yes when i purchased in july the bank was more concerned that i could afford the tax than the mortgage.

We are getting very close to closing a school in my distict and eliminating 22 teachers positions. A major victory for the people of our town to help hold the line on the ever increasing burden of school taxes.

2 rather large schools in broome county are looking to merge as well. the problem with merging schools here in upstate is the massive square milage some of these schools cover. its not uncommon for student to be on the bus for 45min to an hour. but its good that some of the schools that cover the same realestate are looking into way to cut costs.

The people are rising up and taking a stand, Pine Bush NY eliminates 36 teacher positions, Minisink Valley eliminates 22 teachers, Monticello 30 teachers get the axe. Its finally starting to happen and its gonna get alot worse fast. The teachers unions have an unbreakable strangle hold on NY's towns for too long.

We are getting very close to closing a school in my distict and eliminating 22 teachers positions. A major victory for the people of our town to help hold the line on the ever increasing burden of school taxes.

I'm not sure if it's truly a win for taxpayers. Bottom line is school districts can cut teachers and close schools within the district to save money. However, teachers pay and pensions are not going to be effected. Sadly, the students will be and property values will definately decrease. I know I wouldn't want to move to a district with minimal school programs and closing schools.

First hand in my case. Not on LI but my house is assessed at ~ $250,000 and if not for the Ag Value assessment I'd be paying right around $12K.

In a lot of cases the banks were not giving mortgages out to people who couldn't pay because they thought it was a good idea; it was because the Federal government, starting with the Clinton administraion, told the banks that they couldn't refuse to give out the mortgages because it wasn't "fair".

The ones who are upside down and facing foreclosure because they cashed out the equity in their houses for toys are idiots and they deserve to be living out of their cars.

Allegany co. NY

Scio NY School tax rate - 33.551840

Town and county rate - 36.387450

Special District's- 2.530145

Total 75.550855

200K House = $15,110 a year

Wellsville NY School Tax Rate - 27.166172

Town and County Rate- 23.651779

Village Rate- 20.179998

Special Districts- 1.122043

Total 72.119992

200K House = $14,424 a year

Friendship NY School Tax Rate- 34.476890

Town and County rate- 37.168735

Special Districts- 2.186350

Total 82.207231

200K House = 16441 a year

Taxes were THE DETERMINING FACTOR when i bought my house. I didn't go bigger or spend more because i knew i couldn't afford the taxes. My mortgage payment is half of my monthly tax bill.

Edited by 5.9cummins

Allegany co. NY

Scio NY School tax rate - 33.551840

Town and county rate - 36.387450

Special District's- 2.530145

Total 75.550855

200K House = $15,110 a year

Wellsville NY School Tax Rate - 27.166172

Town and County Rate- 23.651779

Village Rate- 20.179998

Special Districts- 1.122043

Total 72.119992

200K House = $14,424 a year

Friendship NY School Tax Rate- 34.476890

Town and County rate- 37.168735

Special Districts- 2.186350

Total 82.207231

200K House = 16441 a year

Taxes were THE DETERMINING FACTOR when i bought my house. I didn't go bigger or spend more because i knew i couldn't afford the taxes. My mortgage payment is half of my monthly tax bill.

Holy crap. That there some taxes. Jeeze.

Back on track, sort of...

My Chalet (lol) is listed as "hunt, camp, fish" whatever that means. I have a small piece, close to 30 acres. Taxes are 2400 a year.

If you can list property as a camp, or some kind of agriculture, that would be best I guess.

I'm not sure if it's truly a win for taxpayers. Bottom line is school districts can cut teachers and close schools within the district to save money. However, teachers pay and pensions are not going to be effected. Sadly, the students will be and property values will definately decrease. I know I wouldn't want to move to a district with minimal school programs and closing schools.

good to be positive but but when towns and cities go bankrupt and the revenue needed to pay pensions is gone topped with another major crash bigger than the one we had in 08 ( predicted by the same people who told us about that one years before it happened) you might be in for a surprise. advice, take your pension and buy gold.