Upstate Property Taxes

Geno C

I was looking at some houses upstate in the Chemung County area and i can not believe how much property taxes are up there! i mean the pricing on houses are very good, newer constructions for around the 250K mark on anywhere from 1.5 - 5 acres or so but the taxes are 6-9k? WTH is with that?? i thought taxes up there were like 2-3k... LI taxes are 6 or 7K plus on houses well over the 3-350k mark. a home with property up there assessed for like 180K is 7K in taxes a year, how does that even make sense? on 180K...

Any counties up there where taxes are cheaper?

$9k in taxes on 5acres sounds about right. There are people paying $9-11k in taxes on 1-2br condos with no land. I think the more land you have, the higher the taxes? Some places 5acres n a house = $25k+ in taxes (depending on school district).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

$9k in taxes on 5acres sounds about right. There are people paying $9-11k in taxes on 1-2br condos with no land. I think the more land you have, the higher the taxes? Some places 5acres n a house = $25k+ in taxes (depending on school district).

ummm 5 hours up state we are talking... not anywhere near the city

Geno,

Great question! As a life long upstate resident I can tell you the taxes are off the hook. Anyone who knows me, knows how bad, and for how long, I have b!t(#@& about the very subject.

honestly i was not expecting to see the taxes that far up carry a price tag like that! i would expect counties closer to the city to be somewhere in that ball park but chemung county? lol its crazy

ummm 5 hours up state we are talking... not anywhere near the city

Right, so instead of 1,100 sq ft for $9k in taxes, you are getting 5 acres. A huge difference in property size for the same or less in taxes.

Right, so instead of 1,100 sq ft for $9k in taxes, you are getting 5 acres. A huge difference in property size for the same or less in taxes.

i know your used to westchester county taxes... but if you think 9k is a good price for 1100sq ft then i need your money lol. i get what you say about more property BUT you assumed upstate had high taxes because they have more land with their dwellings in SOME cases? i always thought upstate was on a much lower taxation scale then surrounding NYC counties and LI. maybe its just me?

Geno,

I'm not in real estate, but if you get an itch to move up tis way, tell me what your looking for and I'll keep an eye out for you. Just curious, why that county?

what county are you in? I was just entertaining the idea about up there... It doesn't necessarily have to be Chemung but i have friends and family there and it would be nice to be close to them... The house would have to be somewhat of a new construction, pref on around 2-5 acres or more, under 300K with lower taxes... i found a really nice house on 5.5 acres built in 2009 (3500sq ft) for around 220K taxes were 7k. i mean with nicer caliber houses up there are cheaper then LI but with comparable taxes so either way its still cheaper up there but i was thrown a curve ball when i saw the taxes...

is it because up there has less people per capita or something and they have to make up for the less population? lol

what county are you in? I was just entertaining the idea about up there... It doesn't necessarily have to be Chemung but i have friends and family there and it would be nice to be close to them... The house would have to be somewhat of a new construction, pref on around 2-5 acres or more, under 300K with lower taxes... i found a really nice house on 5.5 acres built in 2009 (3500sq ft) for around 220K taxes were 7k. i mean with nicer caliber houses up there are cheaper then LI but with comparable taxes so either way its still cheaper up there but i was thrown a curve ball when i saw the taxes...

is it because up there has less people per capita or something and they have to make up for the less population? lol

might be because we measure ppl per square mile but in the city they measure ppl per square foot... and they are trying to make it even

Here in Jefferson my taxes are no where near $1000.00 for 3 1/2 acres and my 140 acre hunting land is only $1500.00...BUT we have a prison, a mall and a shopping center that offset our taxes for my township...Outside of my township the taxes got up a lot!

I don't think its a good price, its horrible. Nothing you can do in this area unless u choice to live in the ghetto or a bad school district. I think upstate taxes are fair because you get so much more land/house for your $. I think property taxes in NY as a whole are high.

Out western U.S. you can own a $1M home n pays less than $10k in taxes.....must be nice.

I own a 1 br co-op apartment (900sq ft) n pay $3.5k in taxes, $3.5k in maintainance. Sucks.

I'm telling ya', I've got a clean one owner in Oneida County with nearly 50 acres just begging for you to take it so we can head towards the sun! ;):)

I'm in southern corner of Oneida county, near Madison County, Herkimer County and Otsego County. It's sort of where they all come together. A house around here with 3,500 sq ft would be called a mansion. LOL

But, there are some quality houses in the 2,500 sq ft range, surrounded by thousands of acres or public hunting lands and horse trails, withe deer and turkey up the wazoo (should use that word on the language thread...lol) on between 3-5 acres for 200K, or a little more. Taxes around 4K would be my guess.

Dry Hill...Right across the road from my hunting property...Tons of fun setting in a treestand and you hear "Rodriquez, Fernandez and Jackson report to the office"...Somedays they sound like they are right next to you!

Ok i didnt know there was one in dry hill... all i knew about was the ski hill... LOL could get bad if one escaped... wonder if they would tell you to shoot on sight?

Biz,

I sure don't think the taxes up here are fair for what we get. Well water, septic, pay to have garbage hauled, pay through the eye sockets for electric and the latest plan for that is if they put in transmission lines through our property, our electric will cost even more, and downstate will get it even cheaper. We have volunteer fire company and volunteer rescue squad. Just because I built my own home, and it's nice, why should I feel so lucky to have it, I'ld be happy to pay high taxes? I think you should get taxed on the services you are provided, or what you use, not for what you own.

You people are comparing apples to oranges!! County taxes vary according to the county budget. Counties with distressed urban areas (ie; Chemung w/Elmira?) have larger social programs to pay for. More rural counties have somewhat less of a budgetary demand. May be effected somewhat by available employment and what the taxpayers can endure ($$). Then there are the school taxes which vary a lot influenced by each district's size, demographics &/or agenda.

You've hit on another "hot button" for home/land owners where each individual has their own specific regional gripe!

Let's face it people ... we don't ever really own the land and buildings. We just rent that stuff from the government. We pay the rent (taxes). They (the government landlord) tell us what we are going to use the land for and what we are going to have on it and what it is going to look like (zoning). Fall behind on your rent (taxes) and they will evict you. Put up something that is not government approved and they will fine you and make you tear it down.

So this idea of land ownership is simply a myth. Where you live and what kinds of services you have and how free-spending your local government and school system is, determines how high your rent (tax) is going to be. Oh, and lucky us, we get to pay off a mortgage on top of that. What a deal!

• Like 1

Biz,

I sure don't think the taxes up here are fair for what we get. Well water, septic, pay to have garbage hauled, pay through the eye sockets for electric and the latest plan for that is if they put in transmission lines through our property, our electric will cost even more, and downstate will get it even cheaper. We have volunteer fire company and volunteer rescue squad. Just because I built my own home, and it's nice, why should I feel so lucky to have it, I'ld be happy to pay high taxes? I think you should get taxed on the services you are provided, or what you use, not for what you own.

Most homeowners of houses have their wells down here as well. You must pay for garbage and Putnam county is all volunteer fire depts, and their taxes are still 10-12k for a 2,000sq ft ranch with 3br.