Upstate Property Taxes

Geno C

Wow, 20 year old making $200,000-$300,000 jobs a year. Up here I bet there are only a hand full of jobs that even come close to that pay scale.

I said late 20's.... http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/wall-street-pay-rises-for-those-who-still-have-a-job/

Anyway, enough arguing. Someboday man up and buy this piece of bowhunting only land > http://www.zillow.co...118939990_zpid/

$19Million for 34 acres and buy the adjacent 10 acres for $9Million.....this way you get 44 acres for $28Million, maybe with cash you can get it for $25million?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Biz I feel bad that ppl need to make those decisions....Some Like "city" living...others either refuse to cut their daily time and wallet with the cost of commuting...$$ rules a lot of ppls lives...so living with less due to job changes or "social standing" is just an impossible option...

The way I grew up and many ppl I know are pretty free from the social need of $$$$ and it has been a blessing...several times over the years Mr. B was very unhappy with his job status...and I never once hesitated in saying Quit...Quit...Quit ...Take the time to figure out what and for whom you want to work...not being over extended because of "stuff" made that possible.

Now I have two kids that are in the same position....They never make them selves so tied to stuff they have to stop enjoying living.

They have friends their age in a constant state of worry because of the social pressure of having "stuff"...

Edited by growalot

I agree with you, grow. My grandpa always said you shouldn't work a job where every sunday night you are dreading work on Monday morning.

I enjoy doing what I do, and I get 6 paid weeks off per year and technically only have to work a 35hr work week (anything over that is overtime). I can live comfortably and enjoy life. Could I make a lot more $ elsewhere? of course, but then my hours would be crazy and I'd have no life. To each their own. I just wish I could live farther from NYC where things were more affordable, unfortunately the trade-off would be making less $, etc. I wish I had my own "NY Hunting property", but I don't. Instead I frequently go on hunting trips to get my fix.

It's all a matter of balance....some have good balance ...others not so much...lol

Balance out what taxes would be on "owned land" verse the amount you pay for wonderful hunting trips with your Dad...down the road the scale is tipped in your favor I think...

Yea, I hear ya. I enjoy the variety of seeing different parts of the US and Canada and getting to hunt different species of game. I couldn't justify paying a ton of $ to own land in NY and the only big game species is deer and rare bear.

Geno you have a septic tank and a precast concrete ring with a lid in sandy soil that can be completely replaced for less than 4K. Up here you have to contact the county dept of health and the DEP to even talk and make appointments for them to maybe talk to you about your proposed septic project. Then the DEP and county dept of health come to your land and do a perk test which you pay 500 bucks for. once that is complete you then head to an engineer who will draw you plans for a septic tank and leach field after he does his inspections, 3K easy for the blueprint. If your soil isnt optimum for septic absorbtion, which the DEP will let you know after a month or 2 you will be required to bring in anywhere from 20 to several hundred hundred cubic yards of soil to make it that way. I have put in several septic systems here in upstate NY with the winner being in the NYC water shed at a cost of 37 thousand bucks,and the cheapest at 18K, yea no kidding.

Taxes up here like you stated are higher and when you talk about what your mortages are(3K a month) means nothing, we have 2million dollar houses up here and we have 100 thousand dollar houses up here too, just not stacked on top of each other like LI, your mortage is all relative to the value of what ever home you buy. your taxes and mortage may be crazy, but whos arent? people on long island have this misconception that upstate is cheap and that is nowhere near true. in many if not most aspects it will cost you more to live up here than on LI. Im not even getting into things like road maintenance or having to drive 40 mins to food shop or buy a 2x4, you will spend 3 times the amount in auto maintance and fuel up here too, your average upstater puts 30K a year on his or her veh easy...

OH also if your planning on buying a second home up here be prepared to even pay more in taxes when the tax assessor finds out you from Long Island, hee, hee, thats alittle bonus LI'ers get to pay to help out our highway depts.

is your septic going bad on you a yearly occurrence??? i mean yeah i see where you are coming from but those are the maintenance issues you have to deal with for living upstate, we have our own. I get in aspects you pay alot for things here n there, i would hope you dont have septic issues every year... because if you have to that to pay for every year id get out if i was you BUT if that is something THAT MAY be a possibility of going bad, well then you have to roll with the punches. to me thats property maintenance i get you have to go through the proper channels and it may be a pricey path. i never stated that taxes up there were higher, because they are NOT. i said they are comparable. i have houses out here that are 280-300K homes paying well over the 12k mark, thats insanity. i mean you sound like you are the only one who has normal wear and tear on vehicles, gas money and so on. you think you pay more in gas? are you kidding me? We have bumper to bumper out here and we eat gas for way less miles, EVERYDAY... If i can hop on a road and not worry about going, stopping going stopping id be pretty happy. im not going to get in a debate on how much you pay out each month, wear n tear and so on. when it comes to taxes, YES up there you guys do have pretty high taxes for the most part. but if i was to buy a house up there comparable to what i own, i can get bigger and better up there FOR CHEAPER with nearly the same taxes and at the end of the month i would be paying half up there vs here on LI trust me. Say if i was to move, id get a better bang for my $ up there and own something on a nice size lot, bigger house, newer construction for less. Ive looked into it. you want to lough, look into what you can get out here for what you bought your house for and check taxes, you would throw up.

not trying to get into a pissing match with ya by any means. Its disgusting what this state charges us to live in NY and like Doc said, at the end of the day we dont even own what we think we own lol.

Too many people live beyond their means. Nobody should be taking a 30yr mortgage. Cut back on other things and take a 15yr, then pay above your mortgage payment as much as you can. Very easily that mortgage becomes < 10 years. In my opinion, you shouldn't be drinking $5 cups of coffee if you have a 30yr mortgage. Same goes for car payments. Buy a solid used car for $10k if you can't afford to pay cash for one that is $40k.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I've got a 30 year mortgage and that's the only thing I owe. I drive an old truck, don't have cable TV, only internet access I have is at work or the library, no credit cards and don't drink coffee. The whole reason we went with a 30 year mortgage is because the payment is about 1/3 less than the 15 would've been and I don't have a crystal ball. If I knew that at no time in the next 15 years I would need another vehicle, or a transmission, or a kidney transplant, or a new job, or braces for a kid, or a new baby, or any other drastic expensive or life changing event, I would've gone with the higher payment. Now, even if I pay it out the whole term and pay the extra interest, I have that extra money available for whatever life throws at me.

Not that it really matters though because I figure I only have to work on Geno for about another year and I'll have it sold to him and I can move to South Dakota! ;):biggrin:

pros and cons to both types of livings.

for me, i'm in favor of country living. I enjoy the fresh air, the land, the storage for my toys. And I like to drive my cars and ride my motorcycle. I appreciate the city for what it is. I'm not big on going out on the town anymore though. I think that's why a lot of families end up moving to the burbs. Does suck having to drive 10 minutes to get anywhere and 30 to really go somewhere though. haha.

Yep with lousy housing and astronomical cost of living....I know I saw a news show on it last year....Mickey D burgers selling for 7.00 dollars or some such thing....many many homeless ppl

With an unemployment rate under 3%, no state income tax (SD) and ranked #2 for lowest taxes in the nation under Alaska. NY #1 highest percentage of income paid in State and local taxes.

for me, i'm in favor of country living. I enjoy the fresh air, the land, the storage for my toys. And I like to drive my cars and ride my motorcycle. I appreciate the city for what it is. I'm not big on going out on the town anymore though. I think that's why a lot of families end up moving to the burbs. Does suck having to drive 10 minutes to get anywhere and 30 to really go somewhere though. haha.

Never been to "The City" and never going to happen. I don't even like going to Syracuse. Rome and Utica are about the upper limit of "city" that I can handle.

I've got a 30 year mortgage and that's the only thing I owe. I drive an old truck, don't have cable TV, only internet access I have is at work or the library, no credit cards and don't drink coffee. The whole reason we went with a 30 year mortgage is because the payment is about 1/3 less than the 15 would've been and I don't have a crystal ball. If I knew that at no time in the next 15 years I would need another vehicle, or a transmission, or a kidney transplant, or a new job, or braces for a kid, or a new baby, or any other drastic expensive or life changing event, I would've gone with the higher payment. Now, even if I pay it out the whole term and pay the extra interest, I have that extra money available for whatever life throws at me.

Not that it really matters though because I figure I only have to work on Geno for about another year and I'll have it sold to him and I can move to South Dakota! ;):biggrin:

LMAO

i want 130 class deer with that property, make it happen

i agree

my property is in chenango county and pay very little in taxes ( nothing built their yet ) but i know my neighbor pays $12000.00 a year for 2400 sq. ft house on 134 acres with a pole barn the size of an airplane hanger. but for what i have down in pa. where i live im getting robbed 5000.00 for taxes for 1300 sq ft house on a 70 x 110 lot, sewer and water bills up the wazoo

I pay close to 9000 for my property taxes on the island. My house is a little over 1700 sq ft and on the lot is about .2 of an acre. I have 72 acres with no structure in schoharie county and pay roughly 2000 for school and county taxes. Hearing some of the taxes payed by others, I'm pretty lucky and can't complain.