Hunting Stands

For those of you who leave their stands out all year long like I do , check them out this summer . Replace ratchet straps and worn out cables on stands .

I was going to use a chain on stand last season that I had up for over 2 years . When I got up in the tree I saw where the cable had rusted and snapped . I removed the stand and put up a ladder stand . The cable was vinyl coated but had rusted next to the cable lug . I bought some chain and replaced the cable .

Another thing that should be done for year round stands is to loosen the straps so the tree doesn't become girded .

generally you should loosen them as well or it'll grow into the tree

That's right . I have a couple chain on stands that have been up so long that they grew into the tree . That was before I got smart enough to loosen the chains / straps .

When I was little younger I chained my stand to a tree and when I went back to remove the stand every thing was rusted,couldnt take down at that time no bolt cutters,since that one time I never attach any thin to a tree.This comming season I will be useing a tripod stand with swivel seat.going to have 360 veiw I am not a tree hugger but rather not use any stands that attach to tree's.

generally you should loosen them as well or it'll grow into the tree

Good point, I have loosened straps and come back the next year and the tree still grew enough to tighten the straps right back up. I left a lock on in the woods for a year with out backing out the screw in steps, and they became so tight that I needed a hammer to back them out.