dilemma....and your thoughts

TeeBugg

As opposed to last year ive been reduced to an 870 smoothbore shotgun. It will not accept chokes and the gun shop here says he cant thread it for chokes. Its got the short barrel like 18 inches. Now i patterened it last year just in case i may need it and number 4 winchesters give out an "ok" pattern at 20 yards. 95% of my turkeys have come within 25 yards. So im looking at a new shell that will help with it. Ive narrowed it down to federal high velocity number 6 with flitecontrol wads. And federal prairie storm number 6. Both utilize the flitecontrol wad which has been proven and tested to work good in minimaly choked guns.

So my dilemma is which one! Hoping that maybe before the season i get called back to work...but im not banking on it. Anyone got a spare barrel laying around! Haha! Any thoughts or help would he greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Its ok. I think the prairie storm might be the way to go. Ive seen a few videos of guys using a 870 with cylinder choke out to 30 yards with a great pattern. Guess i may pick some up an test it out. Apparently the regular flite control i cant seem to find anywhere.

have you tried 4 shot steel

Just winchester super x #4. Its an ok pattern but i may grab some #6 to see if the pattern gets better. Basically im at buying 2 boxes of shells and hoping for the best. Sucks but gotta go with the curves that life throws ya.

Edited by TeeBugg

I would use hevi 13. Now that stuff is expensive, but throws extremely tight patterns. (And has extreme penetration). I would be surprised if you could get another factory shell to pattern tighter out of that barrel.

I have a full box (10) of Federal Premium 2 3/4" Mag #4 copper plated shot that you're welcome to if you would like to pattern with? I shoot 3" Mags now. I might have more at camp. I'm in Newark quite often, so I could drop them off, and it wouldn't cost you anything.

• Like 4

I have a full box (10) of Federal Premium 2 3/4" Mag #4 copper plated shot that you're welcome to if you would like to pattern with? I shoot 3" Mags now. I might have more at camp. I'm in Newark quite often, so I could drop them off, and it wouldn't cost you anything.

Pm sent

Thanks ill look into those as well. I found some 6's in a box of hunting gear and ill probably test them as well. Think they are old rems or winchesters. Not sure it just says 6 on the shell and all the other writing isnt readable.

After meeting up with cabin fever this morning.....i now have a few loads to test. Got quite a variety actually. Some winchester super x number 4. Federal magnum turkey load number 4. Remington game load number 6. Should give me a baseline for what works and what doesnt. Remember im only shooting 25 yards and to be honest most of my spots i can only shoot maybe 30 yards. I dont have access to open fields so im pretty much hunting openings in the woods or powerlines. Wish me luck!

Dilemma somewhat solved lol. 15 yards equals dead turkey no matter which load i use. 20+ yards is a no go. So guess the next step is prairie storm or some load with flitecontrol wad. Or happen to find a barrel somewhere. Anyone know of any bird barrels just floating around haha!

Anyone know of any bird barrels just floating around haha!

I was thinking about a bird barrel for you. Have you heard or thought about the Hessney gun auctions in Geneva? http://hessney.com/auctions/ Might want to consider them. I see that they have one coming up this Saturday 3/23.The next one is on May 11th. I don't know if they put a complete updated list out, but as of now, they have 3 Remington barrels listed, but none of what you need. I sold a few guns through them. No problems at all. Might even be able to find a good deal on a shotgun?