Selling Old Coins?

Cabin Fever

Has anyone dealt with buyers of old coins or have any advise on selling or finding a reputable buyer? I have a lot that are taking up a lot of room in my safe. I've seen ads from people in the newspaper that buy old coins and know there are old coin auctions, but I just don't want to be screwed over. Don't know of anyone that has sold old coins, so I can't ask for opinions on finding a reputable dealer/collector. Been doing some research, but there's just a lot of coins and a wide variety, so its a pain looking up each coin by date, mint marks, grading, etc... Would be nice to take to someone that I could trust, dump them out, have them look them over, and give me a fair price! 

There's a coin collector association/organization, either located in wny/roc or statewide. I forget, but there you would surely be able to find a reputable buyer and they generally give some descriptions of services.

I have several boxes on uncirculated coins that are newerish and thought about selling them as they were givent o me by my grandparents for the purpose of later selling and using the cash. Haven't made the trek to sell them yet. Some buyers will come to you if you are close and have a good collection.

Google fu is strong...

http://www.the-rna.com/directory.php

Edited by phade

Thanks for the links! They sound like reputable dealers. It's tough to know what to expect, regardless of what the sites say though. I was one told that, "Regardless of what it says on paper, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it." I've certainly found that to be true...

You just missed one 3/10/13, but another in a few months.

The Rochester Area Coin Expo (The R.A.C.E.)

RNA-seal.jpg Date: Sunday, June 9, 2013; 10:00am - 3:00pm
Rochester Double Tree Hotel
1111 Jefferson Road (at Rt. 390)
Rochester, NY

Sponsored by: Keshequa Coins (Mike Capawan) www.keshequacoins.com
Free admission; Free Appraisals; Family Friendly!
Directions: NYS Thruway (I-90) Exit 46 to I-390 North to Exit 14.

Research each coin thoroughly and don't give in to lowball offers. Sending them for grading is a good idea too. Some coins have errors that may not be noticeable to just anybody. The coin dealers probably know what to look for and most likely won't bring it up if you don't.

Here's a site where you get coin appraisals (DIY) by answering some questions about a specific coin. Looks to be a little cumbersome & time consuming for a large collection. Gotta assume there might be a book about coin values, aka; a Kelly Blue Book of coins. Public library??

http://www.appraisemycoins.com/default.aspx