Arizona Sheep Tag

BizCT

I think I am going to start putting in for the Sheep drawing in Arizona. Nothing to lose, I think its $7-$10 each year.  It’s a once in a lifetime tag and odds are very small. However, if you get drawn, outfitters only charge $4-$5K and success is pretty damn close to 100%. It all sounds very similar to the PA Elk drawing.  The Sheep tag is $1,400, but you only pay if you get drawn.  So really it’s the only way I would ever get a sheep, because I would never pay $15-$50K to go on a sheep hunt.

Anybody else apply each year?

That sheep hunt is likely one of my "dream" hunts. Haven't started putting in because the time constraints of the season (December) doesn't lend itself to my slower time at work.

Most people seem to take some long shots at them based on the outfitter photos...would prefer bow and arrow.

Yea, I am only allowed 2 days of in December too. But i think it runs through 12/31, in which case I could parlay my 2 days off in with some holidays and weekend to get out there a little longer.

My Mt. Lion Guide said a friend of his has a daughter who got drawn in his first year! They got her a 180" ram on the 1st day. He said they are pretty dumb animals lol.

The odds of drawing a sheep tag anywhere in the lower 48 are extremely low, but you can't win if you don't play...

I considered doing a dall hunt in AK 25 years ago when you could do one for 5 K  or thereabouts, but I didn't do it... Now they are 10k and up...Goat was on my short list at that time too, and a goat hunt can still  be done in some places fairly reasonable..

I  couldn't do the mountains now, even if I COULD afford the hunt, which I can't..

Edited by Pygmy

I've always wanted to hunt sheep too and I've been researching the different states.  Alaskan Dall sheep is probably the easiest to draw, but non-residents are required to hunt with a guide unless you have a relative that is an Alaskan resident.  If you weren't forced into hiring a guide the price would be reasonable.  Some of the desert sheep hunts are extremely difficult to draw.  Colorado and Montana are other options for big horn sheep but they have long odds too.  

I guess I should start applying for some of these because most take many years to draw if at all.     

I think I am going to start putting in for the Sheep drawing in Arizona. Nothing to lose, I think its $7-$10 each year. 

Like already posted, you can't win if you don't bet.  I'd be surprised to find that the application fee was only $7-10.  Update us when you know for sure.

If you ever did draw that tag, I'd advise you do anything you can to get the time off from work.  It may be easier to find a new job and go when the outfitter says NOW is the time!  Good luck.

I play the PA elk lottery and have an application in for a Canadian moose hunt drawing but other than those two crap shoots, my biggest gamble is one donut or two...................................

I've always wanted to hunt sheep too and I've been researching the different states.  Alaskan Dall sheep is probably the easiest to draw, but non-residents are required to hunt with a guide unless you have a relative that is an Alaskan resident.  If you weren't forced into hiring a guide the price would be reasonable.  Some of the desert sheep hunts are extremely difficult to draw.  Colorado and Montana are other options for big horn sheep but they have long odds too.  

I guess I should start applying for some of these because most take many years to draw if at all.     

Last time I checked (and it has been awhile) most AK dall tags were still OTC, as well as Canadian dall, bighorn, and stone sheep tags..

HOWEVER, ALL AK and Canadian sheep hunts require a guide, and prices are  far beyond what most of us mere mortals are able to pay..  AK dall hunts are the cheapest..Canadian  sheep hunts are like 15- 20 K...

The last I knew,Montana still had OTC tags in thier unlimited areas for bighorns, but  the terrain is very  difficult and the success rates are very low..

• 2 months later...

Im not surprised, it is the last frontier after all...