Any of you guys hear of Preferred Seed Co in Buffalo NY? They have several different food plot mixes...

http://www.preferredseed.com/category/index.cfm?cid=4&lvl=1

Planted a lot of there seed, every thing came up and the deer were hitting it as soon as the snow melted just about every morning and night. Like everything else ground prep is what counts.

I'm telling ya ...we need to get a few co-ops organized for next year...find out what everyone wants to plant...get a basic # count...adjust to fit everyone's needs and then find best seed for best price ordering in bulk...If everyone put the money in up front to order, then had a central location to pick up the individual orders  we'd cut the middle man cost.....Some bulk seed could be found locally(ny) saving on shipping..

Better yet find a person with farming ties and piggy back on there shipping...giving them the cost and a bit extra...still may be cheaper...Oh well tried this for 3yrs ...I can dream...

I am not sure what you have on your farm or on surrounding properties, but clover is king in my book.  It should give you 5 years if done right, deer, bear, Turks will enjoy it... and it is pretty easy to grow and affordable.

I tend to use generic ladino clover... and have had great success.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what you have on your farm or on surrounding properties, but clover is king in my book.  It should give you 5 years if done right, deer, bear, Turks will enjoy it... and it is pretty easy to grow and affordable.

I tend to use generic ladino clover... and have had great success.

well here is a bit of a map...

Red Encircled areas = Land we own

Light blue lines = water

green squares = oak trees

yellow squares = current treestands/blinds

red square = apple tree

blue encircled areas = neighboring food plots

this is just a map i threw together by memory... it is mainly hay around us except for the plots... i didnt find out which fields dad plans on planting with corn/soybeans ect this year yet... 

post-2634-0-33349200-1365729322_thumb.jp

Preffered is a great company. They will stand behined what they sell. The dont get into Corn or Beans but you should be able to get any legums or food plot mixtures you want.

They will do a custom mix and i am sure if you want to order bulk they would work with you, most any seed supplier would.

Talk to your local feed, seed, fertilizer plant etc. etc. Alot of NY ag supply distributors get seed from Preffered. I am sure it would not be an issue to get a bulk order of turnip, radish etc. sent to one of those locations for local pickup.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/9942-western-central-ny-seed-fertilizer-and-lime-distributor-lists/

Above is a link to a thread which i just bumped back to the top of the forum.

Edited by 5.9cummins

• 2 weeks later...

Turnips and Radish mixed for an annual are good.

Clover is good as Western noted.

I guess, if I had one plot and could take care of it...it'd be a clover mix. Alice white clover, a ladino variety...and maybe a red if I felt so inclined.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on another little plot this week,Knocking down some trees , clearing brush ,leveling off the dirt.1/2 of it I got to put down lime,fert. and There Big Buck Clover mix, It has not rained since,Three Days went by,I went to do the other half today looked and the clover is coming up already.