Where do you buy?

i don't listen to anyone! haha

like i've tried to say, this isn't a big deal for me at the moment. I'm trying to save on costs, time and money. It was a little side project for a very small patch (see pics on page 1). I know very well soil samples are the way to go. I guess I was hoping to just "throw a dart at it" by doing what I did and see if I can get it to work. If not, I'm only out the 1/2 a bag of $23 seed. The lime and fert has no ill effects. Then if the clover fails to grow I would go the route of a test and plant some annuals or something for the fall.

Trust me, at 29 I'd love to be able to afford this kind of project

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41506 but that's not me right now.

is there a spray I can get at home depot or lowes for grass and weeds that wont kill clover assuming it does sprout?

i don't listen to anyone! haha

like i've tried to say, this isn't a big deal for me at the moment. I'm trying to save on costs, time and money. It was a little side project for a very small patch (see pics on page 1). I know very well soil samples are the way to go. I guess I was hoping to just "throw a dart at it" by doing what I did and see if I can get it to work. If not, I'm only out the 1/2 a bag of $23 seed. The lime and fert has no ill effects. Then if the clover fails to grow I would go the route of a test and plant some annuals or something for the fall.

Trust me, at 29 I'd love to be able to afford this kind of project

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41506 but that's not me right now.

is there a spray I can get at home depot or lowes for grass and weeds that wont kill clover assuming it does sprout?

LOL, that's what I am trying to say...you aren't going to save cost, time or money going this route. You are setting yourself up for more challenges. A $7 or $9 soil test will tell you what you need to know to be successful. Why spend $40 ona  guess, when you could have spent less and known more?

It's also your first plot...you should pick something that grows in a variety of conditions with the ability to survive and propser through your mistakes.

That poll thread is worth reading..some people are chipping in with good feedback for you. It's also 28-2 now in favor of fall planting clover, but that's really not the point. I was hoping people would chime in with their opinions based on their background knowledge.

Edited by phade

so shoot me some suggestions. I have a section that's cleared but not tilled and planted. Should I spray with round up first and then what should I plant? I need something I dont have to go out and buy extra tools to plant unless they're cheaper tools and will be used in the future.

One thing that may cause you some pain is the fact you tilled and seeded. In your situation, i would have waited and let the seeds you brought to the surface germinate and then hit it with RU...and then seed with a good rain right after. Tilling is good no doubt but it can really bring weed seed to the surface, and since clover needs some care to make it like westerns plots. Sprays arent cheap.

For your bare section, maybe look at buckwheat, and then turn it into a small radish and brassica section. Or red clover as grow noted and then go into radish and brassica. Deer dont really hammer buckwheat, but theyll nibble on it. It is a good soil builder and turkey like it. Grows nearly anywhere too. Then you can get those radish and turnips etc.

yeah i'm a little worried about the dormant seed, but my cheapo cultivator didn't get down too deep. We shall see I guess. Glad to get some rain last night. On your suggestions, it sounds like you're suggesting several plantings a year? I have read about this, but again this is a small plot. I'm not exactly looking to grow bigger deer as I'm not sure that's possible on such a small plot. More or less looking to attract them. Hoping to have something they are feeding on in the fall like they do now with my apples.

Edited by Belo

yeah i'm a little worried about the dormant seed, but my cheapo cultivator didn't get down too deep. We shall see I guess. Glad to get some rain last night. On your suggestions, it sounds like you're suggesting several plantings a year? I have read about this, but again this is a small plot. I'm not exactly looking to grow bigger deer as I'm not sure that's possible on such a small plot. More or less looking to attract them. Hoping to have something they are feeding on in the fall like they do now with my apples.

if thats the case don't worry about a soil sample and just plant either Winter Rye, Winter Wheat or oats or together.  Needs no maint. and will grow on many soil types.  Spray Glysophate Three times during the summer and plant labor day weekend.

Belo, You have another area that you want to plant??? But not worked yet?  How Big?

One thing I saw in your post when you planted your clover triple 15,  There are references on using some Nitrogen when starting clover, but I never have, mainly that extra N will help those weeds take off as well,  Clover once established needs P & K, it should be based on a soil test... but you can put P & K down with out one.

I would suggest on the other site, try a fall planted clover planting mixed with some annuals and then you will have a comparison and can share your observations.

You could wait to work the soill until late July,  I would spray it mid July with RU, the work 3 weeks later.  OR you could work it now plant buckwheat..... if you can bushhog and plow it under in later july.  Buckwheat will grow on a rock, is an excellent weed blocker and when can be turned in the soil and excellent way to improve soil conditions.  I dont know what you have for equipment.  Buckwheat can grow 2.5 ft to 3 feet and thick,  Turkeys like it if it goes to seed, bears like it, deer will nibble on it a touch, but not a big draw IMO.  If it goes to seed then you do your fall planting, you will get some volunterr buckwheat in the new plot, this is fine and it will die with a frost.

I don't have any major tools. We're talking lawn tractor (26hp husq), troybilt trimmer with brushcutter and cultivator attachments and then your basic garden tools. I am looking to invest possibly if this takes off and start plotting my fathers land (60 acres). For that area I would look at investing in an atv probably and the proper attachments.

All I have room for on my property is about a 1/2 acre of room for a plot and this area is not rectangular so it'd be sort of a polygon. It's free from trees and bushes but is now some pretty thick grass from years of the previous owner mowing it. I'm not going to turkey hunt my land as i've decided due to proximity it's a bow only area. Sounds like you're saying I can wait till later in the year to plant annuals for the fall? Possibly buckweat now will make the summer planting easier? My cultivator attachment is really not that powerful. I have been toying with buying a dedicated one.

the bag of seed I bought had recommended 13-13-13. It's odd that the experts seem to unanimously disagree with a lot of the manufacturers recommendations.

Edited by Belo