Here Comes Ontario County ...... Again

Doc

Yes, now that I already bought my deer rifle, the bills legalizing the use of rifles in Ontario County has once again come out of committee and is working its way through the legislature. Senator Mike Nozzolio is sponsoring Senate Bill # S 3929, and Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb is moving Assembly Bill # A 5574.

Those that want to use rifles in Ontario County should be asking your state legislators to support these bills. Special attention should be taken by those Ontario County hunters who are represented by State Senator Ted O'Brien. I am not sure where he stands on this, but I do know that he cheerfully voted fot the NYS Safe gun-grab, so he may require a bit more arm twisting than most.

So once again we are trying to get this rifle approval. It has been a very sad comedy of errors, and I frankly have lost track of how many times this has been attempted and screwed up. Maybe this will be the successful attempt ..... lol.

A couple questions..........

Will you guys send a letter via USPS or an email?

I'll send letters to my assemblyman and senator for my home area (Amherst) encouraging them to vote FOR these bills. 

Is it OK for me to send a note to the respective assemblyman and senator in the area I hunt of Ontario County for their vote in this?

• 1 month later...

Checked on it this morning:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3929 NOZZOLIO Same as A 5574 Kolb
Environmental Conservation Law
TITLE....Authorizes hunting in the county of Ontario until October 1, 2015

02/27/13 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

03/12/13 1ST REPORT CAL.184

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.

03/14/13 ADVANCED TO THIRD READING

04/23/13 PASSED SENATE

04/23/13 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

04/24/13 referred to environmental conservation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like it's been stuck there for quite a long time now.

• 2 weeks later...

New Progress!!

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.
04/23/13 PASSED SENATE
06/19/13 substituted for a5574
06/19/13 ordered to third reading rules cal.422
06/19/13 passed assembly
06/19/13 returned to senate

What does all that mean? I'd like to think it is all good news........

I think it all means that this sucker is on the verge of heading for the governor. The process seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be for something this routine. But this sudden flurry of activity is definitely a good thing. At least it got the hell out of that committee where it has been languishing for almost two months.

It's no damn wonder the government is so damned FUBAR if it takes this much to get something so mundane as a bill like this past.

It must be chaos when they have to something really big like naming. a park or highway......

Regardless, thanks for the update Doc.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what is the final verdict with this? Did we get rifle hunting in 8N or not. I heard it passed the NY Senate, but didn't hear if it passed into law.

The status is still the same as it was. I'm not sure why it goes back to the Senate before heading off to the Governor's desk for signature. I guess that's just the process. Of course as soon as it was sent to senate (2nd time) they went on recess, and I don't know if they are back and functioning yet. There sure is a lot of B.S. steps involved, but anyway, below is what the bill status page still has posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3929  NOZZOLIO   Same as A 5574  Kolb 

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.

04/23/13 PASSED SENATE

06/19/13 passed assembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, it is not an 8N (DEC) law. It Is for Ontario County.

DELIVERED TO THE GOVERNOR!

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.
04/23/13 PASSED SENATE
06/19/13 passed assembly
07/02/13 DELIVERED TO GOVERNOR

I know we have been at this point before but I truly think that this could finally be IT!!

The "passion" I have for rifles has been with me since I was a youngster.  I enjoy all aspects of rifles (bolt action specifically) from reloading shooting and even cleaning them.  Bench rest shooting for my own groups, woodchucks and of course deer hunting.  The deer hunting has been really restricted to Pennsylvania for about 30 years along with a few out of state hunts for various critters.

The past two years I've had the chance to hunt Wyoming County a few days late in the gun season with the rifle but never connected.  It was just so nice to carry one of my beloved rifles!

I'd be disappointed if this gets FUBAR again but I think it is for real, this time!!

243?  No way, it's too small to kill a deer.

Actually, my 243 is hopefully getting re-barreled very soon to a 260 Remington.  You know that that 260 is a WAY better killer than the 243..............<grin>

I can't remember where I first heard that this year's version was a lock, but somehow I took it all to heart and went out several months ago an bought the Ruger American in the .270 caliber. No more bruised up shoulder. The old 12 guage is retired. I can decide which hair on the deer I want to hit (well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration .... lol).

Yes, we have been at this point before (on the Governor's desk) and it still got screwed up. But this time I'm very sure that it is going through. My enthusiasm for gun season has been renewed!

Somewhere I have a nice article on loading for the 338-06 if/when you score one...........

I looked at the ballistics a bit more and decided against it. Looking to just go with what I know, 260. If I cant get a good price on that, 7mm-08.

I too, think this is going to go through this time. I have a stand or two that I could reach out 400 yards from. Lots of big fields out my way.

I looked at the ballistics a bit more and decided against it. Looking to just go with what I know, 260. If I cant get a good price on that, 7mm-08.

I too, think this is going to go through this time. I have a stand or two that I could reach out 400 yards from. Lots of big fields out my way.

That 338-06 would certainly smack you more than the 260/7mm-08 choices and won't kill any better.  Might as well ENJOY your bench time!!

Not really much difference in the two, 260/7mm-08, really just some minor high end/low end bullet weight choices.  Win/win....

• Like 1

Yeah 260 has a bit less of a selection of bullets, but the ones that are available are plenty good. 7-08 gives a tad more diameter, but the real world difference is most likely nil. Both flat shooters that pack enough speed and energy to do the job at the distances I would be comfortable with.

I probably wont jump right on board this year (unless I get a deal I cant turn down), as Im still swooning over my muzzle loader.