waterfowl hunters...

apoallo

From what I remember the problem (if any) is eating too much of the fat, which is where  toxins are stored. I use to water fowl hunt a lot, but never really cared for the taste of ducks/geese...tooooo gamey..

Lead has been illegal to use since the 1980's, should not be any lead in birds. I hunt and eat a lot of geese and other waterfowl.

I think that the problem hes suggesting is kind of like mercury in fish, where the lead is ingested by the bird, and therefore in the meat.

Is that what you mean apoallo?

I think that the problem hes suggesting is kind of like mercury in fish, where the lead is ingested by the bird, and therefore in the meat.

Is that what you mean apoallo?

yes exactly! maybe 2 years ago or so. the town of Carmel in ppuntman county had a huge goose problem and trapped a few hundred and sent them to slaughter for lack of a better word. and they were suppose to send the meat to help feed the homeless, but was then forced by the health department to dispose of all the meat because of unsafe lead levels in the meat.. My buddy  gets alot of geese at his farm and I wanted to venture out and try a goose hunt and try the meat but was just unsure if there were any consumption restrictions on the bird.

Every thing alive including plants and people have heavy metals and pcbs stored in their tissues. The higher up on the food chain, the more stored. Geese are pretty low on the food chain, because they only eat invertebrates for a short time when they are very young goslings, afterward they are strictly plant eaters. 

The test results on the geese would probably be lower than the results  of grocery bought chicken which eat insects and are sometimes fed feed containing animal protein (fed so they grow bigger faster). Even "free-range organic" chickens are pecking up ants, spiders, small snakes, etc... LOL, I guess the board of health just don't test grocery bought meat, at least for those substances...

Even if you only eat brussel sprouts you are harboring metals & pcbs,  With meats it helps to trim fat, skin, the dark lateral line meat in fish.

Some venison donation programs have been discontinued because of studies showing that lead shrapnel from bullets shows up some distance from the bullet wound. The smaller the shrapnel, the worse it is for you, because it is absorbed into the bloodstream more readily. The solution is easy, switch to green ammo... Ballistic testing has shown that it actually shoots better; and it is priced about the same, or slightly more than lead ammo. This isn't an anti hunting thing or something that will make ammo to expensive and all that bull, although that's what you will hear...

Edited by mike rossi

• 3 weeks later...

From what I remember the problem (if any) is eating too much of the fat, which is where  toxins are stored. I use to water fowl hunt a lot, but never really cared for the taste of ducks/geese...tooooo gamey..

So what does gamey taste like?? (just kidding)

:rofl: LOL   Everthing has its own flavor component.Pork tastes like pork, chicken like chicken ect.. It all depends on what it eats, how its handled and how its prepared. Over cook a duck and it tastes like liver. Goose breast it pretty good if you find a recipe that suites your taste buds.