uneventful morning...

TeeBugg

heard one lone gobble quite a ways off this morning. heard 2 shot about an hour apart. only fun i had was watching 2 geese go nuts sqwuaking at my hen decoys lol. anyone else enjoy a quiet morning in the woods?

worst part is....i know this spot like the back of my hand. and i also know that ive killed 8 turkeys here, all after 930 am, with no decoys. shouldve listened to my first instinct. oh well it was great to get out in the woods for the sunrise!

I'm still sitting. Heard a couple gobbles a way off. Responded to my calls. That was about 10. Going to wait it out. First turkey I ever shot was at 11:45am in 2008 in the same spot I'm in now. If I leave now I'm just going to go take a nap.

slept out at camp... got up went out set up decoy/blinds, called a little... heard a couple turkeys... two shots all morning... BigBuckBoy and Jason Martin were w me... B.B.B. saw 8 turkeys in another field... we picked the wrong place to setup... im goin back out in a few min...

Better Luck later today!!! I hope!!!

My farm that has been loaded with birds every time I scouted it had to be, of course, an absolute ghost town on opening day. Called in one jake that was rip raring to go, but I'm a long beard guy. Nice to be out again and wake up with the woods none the less. Plenty of season to go boys!

Heard  two gobblers, far off. Couldn't get anything going and I heard no shots.  I could only hunt until 8:30 because I had to pick up my son by 9:30, so I hope the woods exploded with gobbles after i left. I did see quite a few deer, so thats a good thing. New game plan for the morning. Good luck.

I heard gobbling at the crack of dawn from 2 different directions. One was responding to my calling. Then 3 rapid shots from one of those directions and not another peep the rest of the day. Going to hit private land tommorow.

NILL ZIP NOTHING!!! that describes my day!!! the only birds I saw all day were: a chickadee sitting a couple ft from my head, and a couple crows.... didnt even hear one gobble!!! heard 2 shots all day... sat and called the whole time (w feeder hen decoy) tried 3 diff spots.... trying again tommorow...

I'm really surprised there weren't more successful hunts (kills, hearing more gobbling, and distant shooting) today! Weather was great this morning. I've been out at camp a lot (more so than not) at daylight listening for the past 4 weeks. It was so unseasonably cold in April this year, that they haven't been gobbling that great. I've definitely heard an increase in the past week though! Can only get better! 

Bird numbers are lower.

We got on a bird this a.m. and had him almost dead, but as usual, he hung up a mere yard or two too far to shoot in the timber full strut...right in front of my game cam...got two dozen pics to remember him by.

He was the only tom or jake heard/seen today.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised there weren't more successful hunts (kills, hearing more gobbling, and distant shooting) today! Weather was great this morning. I've been out at camp a lot (more so than not) at daylight listening for the past 4 weeks. It was so unseasonably cold in April this year, that they haven't been gobbling that great. I've definitely heard an increase in the past week though! Can only get better! 

+1

if i remember last yr sounded like a warzone, w gobbles like crazy

Edited by josephmrtn

Im gettin at them again tomorow. Gonna do a mid morning hunt....9 to 12. Ive had my best luck during that time at one spot so....lets hope it works!

Im going to give it another "O-dark hundred" tomorrow and then I think I'll sleep in the rest of the week and head out at 8 or 9. I have also had  good luck later in the A.M.