Turkey sounds

virgil

I've heard a bunch of you guys use the term 'drumming' regarding turkey vocalization.  Can you describe what that sounds like.  I was hearing a lot of noise in the woods the other day and assumed it was coming from woodpeckers.  I didn't see any birds or hear any gobbles.  But, my trail cams were loaded with pictures of turkeys- actually had a picture of 2 birds on the camera less than ten minutes before I got to the camera.  I'm wondering if the sound I thought was woodpeckers was actually drumming.

Turkey drumming in no way resembles woodpecker pecking. Phonetically, the spit and drum might look like...."Spttt...Rrrrrrrrumm!" Sounds much more like a muffled engine revving than a woodpecker.

Grouse drumming, common this time of year, would be...."Wump....Wump...Wump..Wump..Wump, Wump, Wump, Wumprrhhh!"

• Like 2

What I was hearing sounded like a drum- kinda like the sound it would make if you used a five gallon bucket for the drum.  It didn't have the rapid-fire pace of a woodpecker.  And, it always slowed down toward the end of each burst.

What I was hearing sounded like a drum- kinda like the sound it would make if you used a five gallon bucket for the drum.  It didn't have the rapid-fire pace of a woodpecker.  And, it always slowed down toward the end of each burst.

Maybe you were hearing a grouse drumming? Very common this time of year. I hear them a lot in the mornings. 

Maybe.  Don't know what that sounds like either.

A grouse drumming sounds like an old one lunger John Deere engine  starting to fire up and then dying out...

I'm sure there must be films of grouse drumming on youtube...

At a distance, the sound almost seems as if it is coming from somewhere INSIDE your head.. It's very hard for me to tell what direction it's coming from....

A turkey drumming no way resembles what you would EXPECT drumming to sound like..

PHFTTT.......HMMMMMMMM....

If you can hear it, he's probably within range. Some guys  claim they can hear a bird drumming 100 yards away, but I've never been able to hear it more than 20-25 yards away. It is a pretty subtle sound.

• Like 1

OK, thanks.  Then, what I was hearing was definitely not a turkey- it was very loud and definitely coming from a distance away.  But, there were lots of them coming from many directions.  I'll try finding some audio clips online.