fisher study

G-Man

well the dec sent a nice letter and a cd of all the pictures they got during their fisher camera study this last winter. i have to download them to pc to post but some good pics! now if they would only send me the info on the age of my bear!

I had one charge at me like a lion a few years ago while deer hunting from the ground. Had to shoot it out of fear that he was going to attack me and tear me to shreds! Would have got him mounted but the 168 grain ballistic tip did quite a number on the pelt. Did save the skull and tail though.

• Like 1

I got pictures of one in brookfield and saw one in westmoreland this year.  I have see tracks before this year but these were my first sightings.  I hear they do a number on the turkeys which could explain the very low numbers in my area.  

• 2 weeks later...

Numbers are definitely growing. Saw a ton of tracks in westmorland this year. Alot in sangerfield,Waterville,Madison areas also.

I agree!  3 out of 5 of us saw one on the opening day of deer season near Eaton.  Nobody had ever seen one before that.

I had one charge at me like a lion a few years ago while deer hunting from the ground. Had to shoot it out of fear that he was going to attack me and tear me to shreds! Would have got him mounted but the 168 grain ballistic tip did quite a number on the pelt. Did save the skull and tail though.

Rabid?

Spend any amount of time in Oswego county like said above and you will see them.  Just look up!  Its pretty short order to fill your trapping quota around these parts.  Where there are porcupines there are Fisher.  Its there main diet for the most part.  More common to see them at night than daytime.  I have had to release some jueniles and a female a time or two when I trapped and let me tell you that is a very tense few mintues and a lot of hoping they run off instead of ripping your leg apart when released.  YIKES!

• Like 1

Spend any amount of time in Oswego county like said above and you will see them.  Just look up!  Its pretty short order to fill your trapping quota around these parts.  Where there are porcupines there are Fisher.  Its there main diet for the most part.  More common to see them at night than daytime.  I have had to release some jueniles and a female a time or two when I trapped and let me tell you that is a very tense few mintues and a lot of hoping they run off instead of ripping your leg apart when released.  YIKES!

Shoot, got lots of porcupines. Never seen a Fisher. There most certainly may be some around though.

Must shoot more porcupines...Little bastards.

Edited by Ford