Late season bird down!!!

WNY Bowhunter

I played host/guide to a buddy of mine this morning. After a grueling 2 hours of having this bird drumming within 50-60 yds of us with a hen we were able to bust a cap in his butt. The 2.5 ounces of Nitro Hevi-Shot from his 10 guage did a number on Mr. Tommy's noggin @ 40 yds.

Nice 2 year old...20 lbs., 9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs

This makes kill #6 for me this spring. Gotta love it...icon_thumright.gif!!! The birds are still henned up big time here in my area...

IMG_03526.jpg

• Like 1

congrats. you say nitro hevi shot? i've heard of nitro and i've heard of hevi-13, but never that combo, thought they were different manufacturers?

I'm not talking about the Remington Nitro loads...these are custom handloads from the Nitro Ammo Company from Missouri.  They're not cheap and they no longer will sell to individuals from NY thanks to our idiot governor.

http://nitrocompany.com/

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

You must hunt some damn good property WNY, you lay 'em down every year! Not taking away from your hunting skills because you obviously know what you're doing!

Thanks.  I do have some good areas to hunt but don't have exclusive access to any of the properties (all of it gets pressured pretty hard).  I just take my turkey hunting seriously and spend lots of time scouting and loose lots of sleep during the month of May chasing longbeards.

• Like 1

About an hour later his shoulder was already turning black and blue!!! The gobbler didn't look too great afterwards either as my buddy had to shoot him in full strut and ended up breaking both legs and a wing...

I saw several bucks over the weekend with nice new growth sprouting.  My Covert cams will be going up sometime this week.  Man, I can't wait to see what's gonna be around this year!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I'm not talking about the Remington Nitro loads...these are custom handloads from the Nitro Ammo Company from Missouri.  They're not cheap and they no longer will sell to individuals from NY thanks to our idiot governor.

http://nitrocompany.com/

gotcha. after seeing that website i'm remembering them being recommended from theoldgobbler forum. If you're looking for a replacement I like the Hevi-13's i shoot. Also expensive though.