4 More days till bow opener!!

burmjohn

I went to change out cards in the camera and move a couple stands due to the logging in progress. This was the first time I'd been there since they began.......WHAT A MESS!!! They are leaving all the tops and it looks like a war zone! I did find an amazing spot that I can't believe I didn't scope out last year. I moved a stand here to this location, Thing is it's probably gonna leave me a 30 yard shot, There is opportunity for closer but because of where I had to put it up for cover I'm gonna be ready for a 30 yard shot. I have never really practiced this distance so I spent sunday doing just that....it was frustrating. I'm dead on at 20 once I move back another 10 yrds it's not so dead on. So I practiced till I got pissy then took a break and went back to shooting till once again I got frustrated and had to quit, I destroyed 2 arrows and one practice blade Muzzy. Yesterdays practice went much better, Hopefully today goes better than yesterday but I'm going to keep at it all week. Other than that stands are up cameras are out and I'll pull the cards thursday, camo is out hanging, gear is all packed up and I'm ready to go! This is what we've been waiting for boys! Good luck to all and be safe!

20ft; Yupp know the exact mess your talking about that loggers leave behind.

Some will say the postive side is that will create fresh mast in the short term, and freshen the forest, or something like that. Best of luck in that spot. Btw, try not to let the 30 yard shots get the best of you. My 2nd deer was 32 yards. Sounds like the practice will pay off.

"Right now", the weatherman is calling for partly sunny skies, 53 degrees, and NW/W wind.

With his track record, that probably means rain, 70 degrees, SE/E wind!!  ;)

I'm just glad there is no rain... Where I hunt Sat is looking at 36 in the morning then warming up to 58 in the afternoon with 15 mph Northern winds...

Ya thanks ....It's amazing how an extra 10 yards will make you feel like it's the first time picking up a bow ( me anyways) I've never had the need for more than 20, now it's like I've never shot a bow before, I think maybe some of it is psychological....It looks far and feels far and kind of been intimidated by such a shot I'm still not really comfortable but now is as good a time as any to learn. I will be ready for it come Saturday. The landowner just stopped in as I was typing this reply and informed me the wood market is going down so they're seriously considering shutting down operations for a bit till the price comes back up, This is a good thing. Last weekend I stopped and asked the loggers where they thought they'd be saturday and when till when, they did plan on being in there during the day ;) but on the other side of the hill. I'm going to pray my tush off that they decided to pull out and go back to NH before this weekend!

20ft...just keep your hands up after the shot until the arrow hits. Follow thru is the main key when moving back farther. You will be ok, and if not just don't push it if you are not comfortable with the shot. Next year try shooting from 40, it will help alot back in at 20 and 30.

The weather looks good for us Saturday, but Friday's threat of rain has me a bit worried for our creek crossing spot. Other than that we are mostly ready, I just have to pack up the waders and then the rest on Friday..Lets GO!

Just wait WNY----the guy someone was looking for that carved his own bow out of a hickory tree with a Bowie knife and walked to Kentucky to get just the right flint to make his own arrow heads,,,,tans his own buckskin clothes and only shoots racks over 200 inches might just have arrived...lol

Davey Crockett is in the house everyone! Davey Crockett folks!  ;D