What type of crop is this?

Preferred Peas and Triticale is a blend of 55% Maxum 4010 Forage Canadian Field Peas and 45% improved forage Triticale. The 4010 is a small seeded pea specifically designed for the Dairy and Beef silage market. The vine length has been reported as long as six and 1/2 feet. The 4010 Pea combined with improved forage Triticale gives exceptional forage quality and high tonnage. Yields have been reported as high as 10 ton/ac. Used as a nurse crop, Peas and Triticale emerge quickly and grow vegetatively at a rapid rate. These characteristics make a mixture of Peas and Triticale an excellent choice for growers that are establishing new seedings. Peas and Triticale will mature (first flower for peas, grain head in the boot for triticale) in approximately 45-60 days, depending on weather conditions, producing excellent summer feed when ensiled. Pre-inoculated and ready for immediate planting.

Edited by growalot

Thank you guys for all the info. The farmer who plants these fields is a dairy farmer. It's a small hidden 3 or 4 acre field that is separated from a more open 8 or 10 acre field with the same crop by woods and under growth. I walked it today and I'm pretty excited about the sign we saw.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of this and clover mixes this year ...I believe in our area it's due to first the very late freezes and then the rain...they can still get protein and carbs and much less expensive than corn...besides being a dbl cropping type of planting...I haven't checked the market so I can't speak to corn prices and subsidies as being another reason  for that  type of planting.....

This will be made into silage. Looks like something coming up in the bottom, maybe a legume. The mixture will be cut when in the prime protien stages, thus getting a high tonage crop this year and allowing the legume to come on with high yield returns next season.

If no legume is in it now, this will be planted to wheat in late summer, to take advantage of the nitrogen, fixed in the soils by the peas.

Either way, it's beautiful protien for antler development, doe building, and fawn growth, right now. You should have some nice deer there, come season.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I'm sure he will cut and bale it.

+1

This will be made into silage. Looks like something coming up in the bottom, maybe a legume. The mixture will be cut when in the prime protien stages, thus getting a high tonage crop this year and allowing the legume to come on with high yield returns next season.

If no legume is in it now, this will be planted to wheat in late summer, to take advantage of the nitrogen, fixed in the soils by the peas.

Either way, it's beautiful protien for antler development, doe building, and fawn growth, right now. You should have some nice deer there, come season.

or this

pea trilage....mix of forage peas and triticale grain which is a wheat /rye hybrid....Deer will hammer it

looks like peas and oats too me but your prob right...  +1

That depends on what their needs are...a plow down would add nitrogen to the soil for a later crop....it they didn't cut too short I do know that tritical ...if that is the grain... will continue...if it is a nurse crop for clover they would allow it to grow...I'm assuming that they cut before a seed set?..if not... no it will not continue