Frog Season

Found a great pond loaded with monsters...only problem is it was when I was with my golf team on a swanky westcheter club. Images of the robertsons from duck commander and the cops running thru my mind. Asking for permission for something like frog gigging is like asking for the first born child of the clubs president-

• Like 2

Found a great pond loaded with monsters...only problem is it was when I was with my golf team on a swanky westcheter club. Images of the robertsons from duck commander and the cops running thru my mind. Asking for permission for something like frog gigging is like asking for the first born child of the clubs president-

OMG, u could start your own tv program;" Chasing Frog."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last trip to Upstate New York I went to the Dinasour BBQ Resturaunt in Syracuse ith my oldest son and had an order of their Frog-Legs,I din't care for the thick breading they put on them, The ribs were excellent. After we were done eating I seen them take an order of "Fried Green Tomatoes" to the table next to ours, I wished I would of seen them on the menu sooner. Looking forward to them on the next trip back there in New York.

I went for the first time last year. Had a lot of fun. Tasted great two. Only problem I have to figure out is what to keep them in while actively hunting them. I've been carrying a 5 gallon bucket with a hard lid buts it's a pain to lug around. You crack the lid to put one in and one gets out. I prefer to dispatch out of view. Any suggestions?

I went for the first time last year. Had a lot of fun. Tasted great two. Only problem I have to figure out is what to keep them in while actively hunting them. I've been carrying a 5 gallon bucket with a hard lid buts it's a pain to lug around. You crack the lid to put one in and one gets out. I prefer to dispatch out of view. Any suggestions?

I've used a clean burlap bag, in a pinch.

Mine are already expired, so a small foldable cooler/ strap with a little ice works well.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Haven't frogged in a couple years as the population has disappeared in the creeks around the house.  Used to use a .22 (never miss an opportunity to hunt something, and can pick off an occasional woodchuck) or air rifle. Put on the hip boots and wade in the center of the creek, and shoot back into the shoreline, under the bushes and overhangs.

Always carried a pair of gardening shears, blade on one side, flat on the other, and snipped the legs off right after I shot them.  Carry an old fly fishing shoulder bag with me, with a gallon zip lock with a couple frozen dixie cup ice chunks in it to keep them cool until I get home to skin them.

Always left the feet on, just to make my wife grimace when I fry them up :gamer: She calls them hands!

I've cooked them like chicken wings, both breaded and not, with hot sauce, and have made chinese legs, with teriakyi or a general Tso's-like sauce.

If you use a five gallon bucket you can get a bait lid for one on e bay, I used them for fishing down in Florida.

Just punch in "5 gallon bait bucket lid" and hit search on e bay, they go from $4 to about $8. You can also get the smaller size bait buckets to put the frogs in until it's time to proccess them. The smaller ones are about a gallon size which you can find on e bay also.