Whats the status with rifle in Ontario Co?

It is currently sitting in the Environmental Conservation Committee in the Assembly. It has gone through the Senate. Once it comes out of committee and is passed by the Assembly (which should not be a problem), it goes to the Governor, and that shouldn't be a problem there either.

The problem is figuring out when it will come out of committee for action.

S3929 NOZZOLIO Same as A 5574 Kolb
Environmental Conservation Law
TITLE....Authorizes hunting in the county of Ontario until October 1, 2015

02/27/13 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

03/12/13 1ST REPORT CAL.184

03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.

03/14/13 ADVANCED TO THIRD READING

04/23/13 PASSED SENATE

04/23/13 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

04/24/13 referred to environmental conservation

This is about as good of a chance of it passing as we are likely to see. It's a funny thing that we actually had the thing through the system with Patterson holding the pen over the bill, ready to sign when he was requested to veto it because the wording didn't limit the rifle legality to only those areas south of routes 5 & 20. Somebody screwed up the wording. The really weird thing is that this bill is for all of Ontario County and it's not even an issue now.

It may help to expedite things a bit if you were to ask your Assemblyman if there is anything that can be done to get this bill out of committee to the floor for a vote. At least he may offer some insight as to what the hold-up is.

Brian Kolb

LOB 933

Albany, NY  12248

Phone: (518) 455-3751

• 2 weeks later...

As of 6/24/13:

S3929  NOZZOLIO   Same as A 5574  Kolb 
Environmental Conservation Law
TITLE....Authorizes hunting in the county of Ontario until October 1, 2015

02/27/13 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

03/12/13 1ST REPORT CAL.184 03/13/13 2ND REPORT CAL.

03/14/13 ADVANCED TO THIRD READING

04/23/13 PASSED SENATE

04/23/13 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

04/24/13 referred to environmental conservation

06/19/13 substituted for a5574

06/19/13 ordered to third reading rules cal.422

06/19/13 passed assembly

06/19/13 returned to senate

I don't think Crazy Andy will be much of a problem. He has gotten himself in such a tangled mess with sportsmen over his gun-ban antics that he is probably looking for any issue that will move toward mending fences with the hunting community. What better issue to do that with than a bill that can be blamed on local legislators and the whole state legislature if anything goes wrong. That kind of thing is made for  slippery ol' Andy. Besides let's not forget that the liberal's-liberal Patterson was all set to sign it until local supporting politicians pointed out screwed up wording and asked him to veto it. So it really isn't the sort of thing that would get governor style opposition.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh        Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

I'll be glad to hand deliver the freaking pen!!

Where'd you get the info, Doc?

where these areas always shotgun only or at some point did they allow rifles and then someone decided rifles were unsafe in those areas and fight to have rifles eliminated...........I'm assuming that's why rifles are not allowed.

This has always been a shotgun only area.

ok, I think if you look at the majority of shooting related hunting injuries / deaths, there are very few related to long range shootings caused by the range of the weapon........the majority are probably close range incidents caused by the failure to properly identify a target, and I'll even venture to guess that most are between hunters in the same party.

ok, I think if you look at the majority of shooting related hunting injuries / deaths, there are very few related to long range shootings caused by the range of the weapon........the majority are probably close range incidents caused by the failure to properly identify a target, and I'll even venture to guess that most are between hunters in the same party.

Youd be about right. You could take it even further and say most happen right around dusk, after legal shooting light. Im not worried about it. The farm I hunt will be mandatory hunter orange this year anyhow. No more guys out there in just brown carhartts lol.

just curious, but do any of these rifle bills get met with much resistance by people who don't want them?

As a matter of fact, there were some that did oppose this bill. It was not a unanimous vote in the Board of Supervisors. However the opposition was not organized or very passionate about their feelings. I also think that for most people this was a stealth bill that didn't get a whole lot of press. I never did see any letters to the editor on the subject. The only place I saw any lively discussion the first time around was on the Canadice town web-site and that was only during the first time around.

I have to admit that even though I have been an enthusiastic supporter of rifles in Ontario County, I have to admit that I still have the same natural concerns that any landowner might have. I have considered the fact that the reckless hunters out there are now handed a weapon that can extend their recklessness. I am also aware that almost all of the new southern zone counties where rifles have been allowed have no real long term track record to judge whether it was a wise decision or not. Most of these have only been in effect for a couple of years. No way of knowing how many of the residents have even exchanged their shotguns for that shiny new rifle yet. We may have not seen the true results yet.

Balanced against all that is the fact that primarily a rifle allows one to intentionally hit exactly what they are aiming at. I think there also is a shooting confidence that may create the mindset of one shot - one kill instead of the spray-and-pray mentality of shotgunners. I'm also aware that most of Ontario County is hunting that is "up close and personal" in terms of just how far you can even see the deer. And then there is that controversial study from Minnesota(?) that claims to show that rifles are actually safer than shotguns based in the fact that slugs tend to hold together during a ricochet.

So my attitude now is let's try it out and let the record decide who was right.