Another Trail-cam question

Doc

I had two pictures tripped that don't seem to have any critters in them. However, I did notice that there were some leaves that were out of position from one picture to the other. Makes me wonder, this time of the year with all the leaves dropping from the trees, and some pretty good winds blowing leaves around, is it possible that the leaves could be setting off the camera? How big an item does it take to influence the motion sensor. I understand that it probably is different from one camera to the next, but has anyone here had things other than animals set off the cam?

Doc

Well, so far it has not turned out to be a huge problem, and has only happened twice. But I was just curious as to whether I was actually missing something or whether this is just a natural happening with these trail cams.

Doc

Could be also be sun, shadows, squirrels on the ground directly below the cam that the sensor is picking up, but are out of sight on the pics. Sure is nice with the digital cams now that we can simply delete unwanted pics! I remember the old days with 35mm and having to pay to develop the unwanted/false pics! That got expensive and frustrating!!

Sometimes those pictures are due to animals running by.  Some camera's has a faster trigger speed then others. 

BTW, I had 1900 pictures of a weed blowing by...

yeah some cameras have very slow triggers, which means when a animal walks into trigger frame it make take several seconds to take a shot. not if you have a deer even walking by with some speed it make walk though frame before the camera triggers. Also alot of cams have a slow recover rate. which is the rate it takes the camera to recover and be ready for another shot.

problem: if you have a do come in and the cam takes a pic, some cams will take 30+ seconds to recover. which means you can have several deer in 30 seconds walk right on by and you would not even know it...

bushnell and reconyx have cameras that have very fast triggers and recover rates. but yes, it is possible a leaf or branch can trigger then cam depending on how sensitive the trigger rate is.

I had set a Moultrie IR-40 up in our back yard when we went to Cancun last spring . When I got home there was over 800 pics on the SD card . Just a bunch of pics of the back patio . I noticed a very small limb with a couple of leaves . It was just enough to trip the camera many many times .........