I was wondering if anyone on this site owns or has owned an Ozonics scent system and if anyone has what their thoughts on it were. I have researched the technology for awhile and have always been skeptical about pulling the trigger on one. They are expensive - $400 for one with two batteries which I think almost have to have if you hunt a lot. But the technology intrigues me.

I remember in my younger days I got burned on one of the heat sensing game trackers that were suppose to point you to your dead deer when blood trails got lost ... I think that one took me for like $300 and was the epitome of a gimmick.

Just wondering if Ozonics is my next game tracker or if there is some legitimate success stories.

Thanks

Ozone works great for killing odors in sufficient quantity for a long enough period of time.

There are strict federal limits on the levels a unit can produce when listed for attended use in an enclosed area.

The ozonics has that listing for use in a ground blind.

That means the levels produced are so low they can have no effect when used in an open uncontrolled environment like over your head in a tree stand.

It's like spitting in a lake and thinking the level will rise.

There is definitly some health risks if used incorrectly, but at this point we will all die of brain tumors because of cell phones before ozonics takes me down - HA!!!

I am on the fence on this one though ... I have hunted for quite some time and playing the wind is always an interesting discussion when treestand hunting for whitetails - especially mature ones. (This doesn't apply with spot and stalk as much other than their eyes are usually focused upwind while their backs are downwind but the premise is the same.)

Most hunters believe if the wind is out of the NW and the bedding is to the NW those fields/travel corridors/funnels is where they should be. They may see deer but usually those are the younger ones. You have to ask yourself why would an animal that is prey and a matser of it's environment forgo it's best weapon and come out from that set-up without it's use of the wind?

The answer is they rarely do. Other than a mistake here and there - chasing a doe, getting bumped or pushed etc which are few and far between, they typically don't intentionally put themselves in a disadvantaged position.

So what this means is that you need to hunt a neutral wind or marginal wind set-up that may even favor the big guys.

Scent clothing ... I am torn on I think it helps but it isn't anything great. Ozonics though using the device as intended - downwind or even better on yur scent trail in offers some intrigueing possibilities. The cost becomes less of an issues as they have a money back guarntee. I don't plan on wearng it as a Darth Vader mask but there is some risk ...

Maybe plan B is wait for Jay Gregory to croak and then take over his hunting show and spots - HA!!

i dont understand the scent free craze. the largest bucks evertaken were done without it, as were hundred of thousands of others, probably millions. study the wind, just about everyone forgets this. scent is present with all these gadjets in place. save your money buy land,a new gun,boots, ect you'll still be sucessful.

• Like 2

Bucks don't always walk into the wind or have the wind in their favor. It's a bit of a stretched truth because it is exaggerated.

Sure, they will use the wind and vision and hearing to their advantange the majority of times, especially in bedding. But, there are times when a buck is vulnerable. Those are the times to strike. Not every buck has wind-specific bedding or wind-specific travel routes all the time.

Nothing is going to "overcome" that difference in strategy.

Playing the wind still works better than any scent control gimmick... that being said you must remember that you will never be entirely scent free to a whitetail despite all the scent control in the world... but keeping your scent masked can't hurt.

Playing the wind still works better than any scent control gimmick... that being said you must remember that you will never be entirely scent free to a whitetail despite all the scent control in the world... but keeping your scent masked can't hurt.

You stick your face directly into Ozone for several hours a day for several months a year.

Tell me it doesn't hurt. And, I'm not talking the owweee kind of hurt. I'm talking life-threatening kind of hurt, dude. There's a reason there are regs on its use.

I'm no Chicken Little fan, but sucking up ozone for a deer doesn't appear to be worth the tradeoff.

Edited by phade

The levels it can legally produce to be used in a ground blind means that using it outside in a stand would have little health risks. That is also the thing that means it can have no real effect used outdoors.

Level are just too low with the dilution of an open environment and air movement.

at kind of scent

You stick your face directly into Ozone for several hours a day for several months a year.

Tell me it doesn't hurt. And, I'm not talking the owweee kind of hurt. I'm talking life-threatening kind of hurt, dude. There's a reason there are regs on its use.

I'm no Chicken Little fan, but sucking up ozone for a deer doesn't appear to be worth the tradeoff.

I think you misunderstood ... I was more talking about scent masking products and scent blocker clothing... and I didn't mean the pain kind of hurt...I meant that using other scent control items wouldn't necessarily hurt the cause of trying to reduce human scent  :biggrin: Oops sorry, I almost forgot...dude!

The easiest is take a shower and wash clothes in baking soda.. use wind as much as possible to your advantage. Simple and easy and inexpensive. I agree a coverscent is a good idea. Simple as well if hunting pines put clothes on pine boughs, golden rod, for fields, or leaf litter for hardwoods.