Polaris 500

I am looking into getting a used 500 HO or 500 EFI.  I had a 2004 500 HO new but sold it back in 2006.  I loved the machine.  Never had any major problems with it other than the plastics where your feet go broke.  I know a lot has changed since then; looks, motor, and durability wise so I was just looking to see if anyone on here has one and how they like or dislike it.  Or recommendations for a different wheeler.   I have been looking into another 2004 or a little newer if I can find one that hasn't been beat to crap.  

Also, if anyone has one they are trying to sell, shoot me a PM and let me know what you have.  Trying to stay under $3600.  Thanks!

I know most people seem to like the CVT transmissions (belt like snowmobile) but I find for hunting and quiet I like the 5 speeds better therefore I recommend you look for a Yamaha 400 Big Bear. Mine is a 2002 and has been great since new. I put a silencer on the exhaust and it's perfect for hunting.

I know most people seem to like the CVT transmissions (belt like snowmobile) but I find for hunting and quiet I like the 5 speeds better therefore I recommend you look for a Yamaha 400 Big Bear. Mine is a 2002 and has been great since new. I put a silencer on the exhaust and it's perfect for hunting.

I have looked into them a little, but don't really know too much about them.  I wouldn't mind the standard transmission because its primary use will be for the farm.  I'm just not sure the wife would be able to handle it.  

.  I'm just not sure the wife would be able to handle it.  

The shifting? THey don't have a clutch. just let off the gas and click the shifter. I am not familiar with the Yamahas but the suzukis and Hondas are thumb shift buttons. I bet she could figure it all out in a matter of minutes. I have a Polaris 500 but if it is primarily afor farm/camp use I would stay away from the primary belt drives liek the Polaris. Even in low range you can smell the belts when really pulling. My Father's Bombardier Traxter 500 is thumb shift and not belt primary and it is a pulling animal. It needs more agressive tires but even now it is nicer to pull with than my polaris. THis past weekend we dropped in a few plots and his worked the discs much better than mine. I had mine on the york rake.

I have a Suzuki 500 4x4, Kawasaki 300 Bayou 4 x 4 and a Polaris Sportmans 500. I love the Polaris for plowing as not shifting involved. I did notice my Suzuki can push alot more snow then the Polaris. The Kawasaki is a great little machine for just going through the woods. The one problem with the push button shifter is if you are trying to carry something you end up running out of hands to hold, turn and shift. My friend has a Artic Cat 700 and the think is so big and wide he has a tougher time going through the trails.

Virgil , on that 2001 Polaris Sportman make sure you change the oil and only 0w-40 full syn oil. Alot of these Sportmans 500 had cam problems and the exhaust lob would wear down, and all the machine would do is backfire. They update the cams with 2 oils holes and the holes are alittle bigger. Nice thing about this problem is you can buy a machine cheap that needs this repair and fix it for uner $500 yourself.

I have a Suzuki 500 4x4, Kawasaki 300 Bayou 4 x 4 and a Polaris Sportmans 500. I love the Polaris for plowing as not shifting involved. I did notice my Suzuki can push alot more snow then the Polaris. The Kawasaki is a great little machine for just going through the woods. The one problem with the push button shifter is if you are trying to carry something you end up running out of hands to hold, turn and shift. My friend has a Artic Cat 700 and the think is so big and wide he has a tougher time going through the trails.

I have a Sportsman 700 EFI and it is way bigger and wider then my last machine. (Arctic Cat 400)  The 700 has insane power but is a lot less maneuverable on tight trails. Last deer season I used my sons Kawasaki 360 4x4. It was awesome.  Enough power, maneuverable, 4 wheel drive and it hauled a few deer out of the woods with no problem. Bigger isn't always better.  The EFI is sweet though. No nursing the clutch on those cold mornings.

I've had a Yamaha Timberwolf 250 since 1994, great machine, with five speed transmission. I also use it on the farm.fixin fence checking fence, rounding up the cows, bringing newborn calves in from pasture, I even haul firewood with it on a garden trailer, work great to pick rock, just step off instead of climbing up and down from a tractor.

I used an old Suzuki (I think it was a 220) for years. Paid about $300 for it and it ran for ever. One day me and the old farmer were setting stands and I parked the machine at the top of a hill and walked down the hill. After a while we were standing on the road talking when we heard something. All the sudden the Suzuki comes rolling down the hill, passes us doing about 30 and smashes into a tree about 10 yards in front of us. Some idiot forgot to set the brake. That was then end of that machine. Its been like 15 years and there are still pieces of orange plastic laying all over the place LOL!!

Gonna head upstate this weekend to clear trails and hang stands.  Really looking forward to trying it out.  It should make my pre-season prep a whole lot easier.  And, considering that my land is 300 miles from where I live, it'll save me a lot of time.