big buck?

G-Man

Oh for crying out loud, what is all this concern about what other hunters are seeing/getting. Who the heck am I trying to impress .... lol. If somebody else is telling me about their deer, I simply nod my head, slap them on the back and congratulate them for getting a great deer (regardless of what it looks like). And I want to hear the entire story in as much detail as they want to supply. What business do I have doing otherwise.

Man, I do miss the days before scoring became such a big deal. Now-a-days when you tell somebody you got a deer, the first words out of their mouth is "what did it score". If you don't come back with a number that they are impressed with, they will do there best to wreck the whole experience for you. And if your answer is that it was a doe, they immediately walk away or change the subject .... lol. The whole hunting experience has been reduced to numbers. I really don't get it. I really don't have any need to impress anybody by listing some numerical value that serves as my goal. And by the same token, I am not really all that impressed by anyone else's numerical goals.

well said.......I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 2

Oh for crying out loud, what is all this concern about what other hunters are seeing/getting. Who the heck am I trying to impress .... lol. If somebody else is telling me about their deer, I simply nod my head, slap them on the back and congratulate them for getting a great deer (regardless of what it looks like). And I want to hear the entire story in as much detail as they want to supply. What business do I have doing otherwise.

Man, I do miss the days before scoring became such a big deal. Now-a-days when you tell somebody you got a deer, the first words out of their mouth is "what did it score". If you don't come back with a number that they are impressed with, they will do there best to wreck the whole experience for you. And if your answer is that it was a doe, they immediately walk away or change the subject .... lol. The whole hunting experience has been reduced to numbers. I really don't get it. I really don't have any need to impress anybody by listing some numerical value that serves as my goal. And by the same token, I am not really all that impressed by anyone else's numerical goals.

Yup, exactly how I feel. Seems to more common with younger hunters.

disappointed with his small deer? wtf should be grateful that he enjoys you and you camaraderie enough to invite you too his land.this is another reason that hunter numbers will continue to dwindle until there are no sportsman left.how big a deer's antlers are shouldn't be the number one topic but that your fellow hunter was successful. like doc said our sport has been reduced to a numbers game and it is sad pushing most to be solo hunters and losing the traditions and comraderie of years past. at 33 years old i feel proud when i teach my kids the ways of past before big time celebrities and inches of horn took over the sport.

• Like 1

Since I started the great ADK/NY hunting journey I always dreamed of a mature buck.  And that was the goal.   After taking my first 2 1/2 year old (est.) 8 pt with a broken brow tine I was hooked 12 years later...  I though he was mature enough with that rack.  I have passed many 4 point bucks, spikes and doe.  For me anything with 6 pts or better is worth a stalk/hunt, what happens from their depends on how many mistakes I make...  I have been told by guys that they only shoot 140 class and up deer but that was in Ohio.  He said he does not even hunt the area I was in because so few deer exist...  To each his own I say.   To me If I can get a buck in this remote area where FEW DEER EXIST, then I feel I can get one anywhere in North America.

Perspective as I like to say.  If a 100 inch deer is a trophy or that doe you just bagged was your first I will be slapping you on the back and asking for a high five!!!  The first guy who puts down a deer for any reason is going to get a earful from me!  Simply put we should support and encourage all successful hunters regardless of our view of their take.  Hunting ethics can be discussed another time but the harvest should not be questioned.  My buddy Mike has yet to shoot his first deer, what ever he shoots I will congratulate him.  (He shoots a spike or a yearling and I will have to bust his chops after, lol.  But thats all in good fun and part of the enjoyment with a great friend!)  Respect your prey, fellow hunters, nature and those who protect it, usually it will be returned. 

PS: Reminds me of a story about my brother and the property he hunts in Prattsville.  A few hunters came across the property looking for a wounded deer.  The owner confronted them (Mr.Quin) polite and courteous and they informed him that they shot a deer and wounded it and had followed it as far as they could go and were giving up.  Mr.Quin followed the blood trail, finished the wounded deer and after cleaning the animal he returned it to the hunters who gave up.  They where so happy that they gave my brother and Mr.Quin access to hundreds of acres to hunt on their land!  (This was a small deer in Mr.Quin's eyes but the rewards and good deed done that day were immeasurable to those hunters!)