Do any of you guys have?

josephmrtn

I Good luck shooting at anything at 4yds out of a blind! If you can get a fawn within 4 yds and pull of the shot let me know :)

I guess I don't understand when people don't practice outside of 20yds... To me it is just plain stupid to not be able to shoot outside 20yds from the stand.  As a bowhunter you have to atleast pracitce and be comfortable out to 40yds.  Even if you don't plan on taking that shot it makes you that much better at 20.  Practicing at 3-10 yds just seems silly to me. 

A lot of people got into archery because of the challenges of getting up close and personal. Frankly, I draw a certain amount of pride out of just being able to get that close to an animal that has the razor-sharp instincts and senses that they have. My favorite hunt of all time was the doe that I could have reached out and touched just before I shot her. I have shot a few nice bucks, but none ever gave me the level of excitement of that hunt.

I have a personal limit of 30 yards, and anything over 20 yards had better be an absolute perfect shot. I would say that 90% of my deer takes have been 20 yards and under.

I do have a 40 yard pin on my bow for practice only and always step back for a few shots from there just to up the interest of the practice session. That pin is never used for hunting.

When hunting from a stand a 3 yrd shot can happen....and I can't address sight pins but I know instinctive if I don't know to aim real low then I'll miss or get a bad shot...and some times circumstances just end up where a close shot is needed...being prepared is the only smart thing to do..Ive taken 3  with in 5yrds...one a 7pt mercy kill(turned into DEC) one a fawn mercy kill  and one just a nice bow buck to me......I agree with G-man

• Like 1

When I first started bowhunting, my bow was wildly out of tune. I just figured you buy a bow and and accessories, the guy at shop sets it up and you are done. Tuning? What was that? Well, the guy who set mine up may as well have been stevie wonder. I had no business being in the woods with that thing. Luckily I never wounded a deer with it. Never killed one either.

The importance of Shooting an arrow straight with a tuned bow cannot be overstated.

I can't help But think joes bow is way out of tune. 3 yards? 10 yards? Joe, save yourself the trouble, and get to a good shop and have them spend some time with you.

To echo someones point above, you seem to have the drive to become a good hunter. That's important because that's something that you are born with and can not be manufactured. For now, Just get that bow and your shooting right. The hunting end of things will take care of itself.

• Like 4

When I first started bowhunting, my bow was wildly out of tune. I just figured you buy a bow and and accessories, the guy at shop sets it up and you are done. Tuning? What was that? Well, the guy who set mine up may as well have been stevie wonder. I had no business being in the woods with that thing. Luckily I never wounded a deer with it. Never killed one either.

The importance of Shooting an arrow straight with a tuned bow cannot be overstated.

I can't help But think joes bow is way out of tune. 3 yards? 10 yards? Joe, save yourself the trouble, and get to a good shop and have them spend some time with you.

To echo someones point above, you seem to have the drive to become a good hunter. That's important because that's something that you are born with and can not be manufactured. For now, Just get that bow and your shooting right. The hunting end of things will take care of itself.

good advice.....

My groups are a inch to the right at 30 yards but an inch left at 40 yards while my 20 yards are dead center.  And yes, the pins are all lined up on each other.

That's some fine shooting to decipher an inch at 30 and 40 yards. I wish I could keep my bow arm that steady. I have definitely seen good groups at those ranges though. Do your pins have to be lined up vertically or is that a sign of a well tuned bow. I know I've always had a slight angle to the vertical on my pins as the distance increased. Or could that be a sign of improper form or some type of limb cant, bow problem, or arrow problem.

That's some fine shooting to decipher an inch at 30 and 40 yards. I wish I could keep my bow arm that steady. I have definitely seen good groups at those ranges though. Do your pins have to be lined up vertically or is that a sign of a well tuned bow. I know I've always had a slight angle to the vertical on my pins as the distance increased. Or could that be a sign of improper form or some type of limb cant, bow problem, or arrow problem.

You're giving me too much credit.  My groups are not that great.  I was just stating that that when I aim at the target at 30 yards, my groupings tend to be a inch or so more towards one side but when I aim at 40 yards, my groups are and inch or so towards the other side.