Broadhead tune?

YFKI1983

My first step is getting my field points to be directly centered on the bullseye. I would first try to get this figured out to know my set up is finely tuned and then move onto my broadheads. Are you using mechanical or fixed broadheads? Mechanicals will generally have the same flight as field points while some adjustment is necessary for fixed as they can fly differently.

BH right of FP means a weak arrow spine or your centershot is off (assuming the bow is otherwise tuned).  Trying moving the rest in small increments to the left and see if you can bring them together.  I have had instances where I could not bring them together and changed arrow spine.  It worked.  Takes patience.  You should have them hitting together.  The gap gets bigger as distance increases.  Don't worry about sighting (assuming you can stay on the block or whatever target you are shooting at).  Do that one you have the BH and FP grouping together. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your broadheads are grouping to your satisfaction, adjust your sights to the broadhead group.  Who gives a crap where the field points are hitting?   Are you planning to shoot field points at deer? I have never understood this anal need to get ones field points to hit the same spot as the broadheads.  Shoot broadhead tipped arrows and tune the bow to those arrows......DONE!  

If the desire to shoot field points for target practice is that great then there are some options.  1.  Setup another bow for just target practice.  (we all need to justify more bows anyways!!  :)  2.  Note where the field tips group and simply adjust your aim.  3.  Adjust your sight back to the field tip group. 4.  Use a second sight adjusted for the field tips and swap the sights out.  

I personally just do the second choice.  I like to ensure my hunting bow is setup and tweaked for shooting broadhead tipped arrows.  I do not care at all where it shoots the same arrow when that arrow has a field tip on it.  

• Like 1

If your broadheads are grouping to your satisfaction, adjust your sights to the broadhead group.  Who gives a crap where the field points are hitting?   Are you planning to shoot field points at deer? I have never understood this anal need to get ones field points to hit the same spot as the broadheads.  Shoot broadhead tipped arrows and tune the bow to those arrows......DONE!  

If the desire to shoot field points for target practice is that great then there are some options.  1.  Setup another bow for just target practice.  (we all need to justify more bows anyways!!   :)  2.  Note where the field tips group and simply adjust your aim.  3.  Adjust your sight back to the field tip group. 4.  Use a second sight adjusted for the field tips and swap the sights out.  

I personally just do the second choice.  I like to ensure my hunting bow is setup and tweaked for shooting broadhead tipped arrows.  I do not care at all where it shoots the same arrow when that arrow has a field tip on it.  

Yea that all sounds easier than just adjusting the rest once and not having to worry about it. lol

Practically speaking, if your field points and Broad heads match, you then avoid busting up broadheads in targets, getting them stuck in block targets and generally have an easier time of it when removing said arrows from targets. I give myself an extra workout pushing and pulling at B-heads sometimes when I all I really want to do is practice form and have some fun.

I get what your saying.  My only point is that people seem to endlessly worry and spend countless hours fiddling with the bow trying to get the field points to hit the same exact spot as broadheads.  (BTW, not directing this at the OP.....just ppl in general.)   Just tune the bow to the broadheads and end it.  Then one can spend all that extra time practicing their form, etc using field points.  Simply note where the field points now group and aim accordingly.  Easy-peasy.