Cabela's Thermal Zone

Anyone tried this? It's very expensive, but I'm in the market for some new long underwear and I think the concept of this product is right on. They make bottoms too. Damn Cabela's coupons forcing me to buy stuff I really dont need...

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1227467&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=12b3c3858de39a10f18a19c4c2be82dd&WTz_l=CWBAB%3BIK-961135%3Bpod9814&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

p.s Why can I not link to a picture on cabelas? that's just silly...

Pricey is an understatement.

With as many days as I hunt, no way can I invest in base layers that expensive. I usually have several light, several medium, and a handful of the heavy ones.

I'd love to learn how warm they are, how effective they are, and how long they'd last in regular use.

Edited by phade

Pricey is an understatement.

With as many days as I hunt, no way can I invest in base layers that expensive. I usually have several light, several medium, and a handful of the heavy ones.

I'd love to learn how warm they are, how effective they are, and how long they'd last in regular use.

agreed.  But based on how many layers you just said you put on, you probabaly spend more money in clothes than they cost...lol.  They are probably based on the under armor brand.  I have used those before and they work really well!  I would pay it if it works as well as they say it does.  The difference between sitting in your stand an extra couple hours vs. packing it in with numb toes and borderline hypothermia...lol.....

agreed.  But based on how many layers you just said you put on, you probabaly spend more money in clothes than they cost...lol.  They are probably based on the under armor brand.  I have used those before and they work really well!  I would pay it if it works as well as they say it does.  The difference between sitting in your stand an extra couple hours vs. packing it in with numb toes and borderline hypothermia...lol.....

I think you misunderstood me as I didn't make my point clear. I'm not necessarily wearing all of these layers or multiple layers at once. I just prefer not to have to wash a base layer each night - I'm not re-using them with the stink I build up, lol. Doesn't sound like a hassle, but it is, especially if I go out of state.

I looked at my bag of goodies and I have 6 light base layers

4 mid-weights

2 heavies

With that, I usually need to hit the laundromat once in a 7 or 9 day hunt out of state depending on weather. Plus, day 4 or 5 of an all-day sit at home here in NY...when I get out of the woods, I crasssssssh. Last thing I want to do is laundry.

I think you misunderstood me as I didn't make my point clear. I'm not necessarily wearing all of these layers or multiple layers at once. I just prefer not to have to wash a base layer each night - I'm not re-using them with the stink I build up, lol. Doesn't sound like a hassle, but it is, especially if I go out of state.

I looked at my bag of goodies and I have 6 light base layers

4 mid-weights

2 heavies

With that, I usually need to hit the laundromat once in a 7 or 9 day hunt out of state depending on weather. Plus, day 4 or 5 of an all-day sit at home here in NY...when I get out of the woods, I crasssssssh. Last thing I want to do is laundry.

I also have a handful of different weights. Was thinking that due to the different "zones" this might be a good "chilly to really cold" set. Generally when it's really cold I'm adding another layer even to my heavyweight set.

All that aside, I agree phade, it's hard to spend almost $200 on a base layer :)

Honestly, I think those designs are built more for mobile/all-around style hunting - I can't see them being good for long-term stand hunting. More of a general purpose for someone who will sit an hour or two on stand, then get down and walk around on way back to truck. Base Layers for stand hunting in super cold weather are expensive no matter what though.

I usually throw on my Rocky mid-weights ($20 cheapies at Wally World) and pack in my heavy double fleece layers to go over top once at the stand. I will say if I know I am stand hunting for more than an hour or 90 minutes, I'm using my IWOM much more...although, I've gotten brave enough to simply walk into the woods in boots, socks, and a set of base layers. Probably a sight to see for some unlucky hunter. Don't need more than that with my IWOM.

That set is probably a good fit for most late season hunters, but I doubt that cagtegory are the kind to spend that much loot on "long johns." I think I'd be interested in trying them in the $50-60 range, but not at $100 a pop.

Look at first lite base layers expensive but they are great. 100% merino wool. You can sweat in it for days before it starts to smell and they will keep you just as warm but will breathe 100% better than under armour or cabelas ones. There is another company that makes them called minus 33. Its the same stuff but cheaper.

John

Look at first lite base layers expensive but they are great. 100% merino wool. You can sweat in it for days before it starts to smell and they will keep you just as warm but will breathe 100% better than under armour or cabelas ones. There is another company that makes them called minus 33. Its the same stuff but cheaper.

John

I agree, can't beat wool........I like to put a light base layer on (any brand will do) and top that off with 100% wool, that really does the trick.........couple sets of cheap base layer stuff to change out of, and the one set wool is good for several days.

Phade, the Rocky products from Walmart are great for the money..  I caught them on sale for $15 (each for top and bottom)..  I got my wife a set as well as we have a horse farm and she is outside or in the barn all the time...  She loves them!! 

They seem to wash well and last too!!

I look at the price of Under Armour and shake my head as the Rocky stuff seems just as good!!

the secret to staying warm in your stand (don't tell anyone...lol):  I buy the large size handwarmers (ya know, the ones that are like $0.99 at Dicks or Walmart.  You open the package, shake em and they get warm).  Over top my underarmor, I have a t-shirt with a breast pocket (heart side).  I activiate one of those, slide it in the pocket and zip up my jacket.  For $0.99, if you put it where I said, it warms your whole body (being by your heart).  Keeps me warm for a good 4 hours before I replace it!  Try it!  Seriously.

I started using UA when it first came out back in high school football. stuff was awesome. For hunting gear, I own their baselayer top and bottom. When i wear just that combo i pretend i'm either a WWF wrestler or a hunting super hero! I love the fit and the ability to wick moisture. It's the first layer over my undies, but my only complaint is that it pulls the hair out of the back of my legs so now i wear extra long boxer briefs.

John

I have the UA baselayer but I have been looking to try the merino wool as well. I will be getting a set of the first lite bottoms and the minus 33 top sometime this week. I like the fact that it doesn't stink after a hunt. The UA has kept me warm and I use it for Snowboarding as well