QDM/FP help

I am looking for some suggestions on development of my land from the QDM guru's.  I have read up a lot on it and plan to start the project this spring.  My plans are to develop an extensive trail system throughout the 170+ acres.  To the left and back of my land there is a roughly 900 acre reforestation state owned land that does not receive a lot of attention due to huge nearby state forest lands (ADK).  To the right I have access to another 155+ acres which is basically mature forest with the front being pastures.  The front 20 acres of my land is pastures currently used for beef cattle.  The surrounding farms are mostly cattle farms.  As you can see from the areal shots there is a decent sized trout creek that runs through it. I plan on adding a 1-2 acre pond and placing a blue spruce wall along the road frontage for extra privacy.   My main questions are:  Where would you guys suggest placing food plots in ? Where should I develop the trail system ?

I will likely be hiring this work out to local farmers as I live a couple of hours away but will do the maintenance myself.  I prefer to get it done right the first time

post-3515-0-79187800-1379732446_thumb.jp

The trail system should follow your property lines first and foremost, for ease of patrolling and posting. A sanctuary area should be set aside near the center,consisting of thickest cover on your property.this is the most important thing IMO. As large as you can with edges well defined by trails/marking. No hunting or tresspass allowed in this area. I'd make it as large as you can maybe 30 acres. Food plots can be created in the semi open area by mature mixed woods. Trails to these areas should be on down wind side of the plots created for ease of access to them pushing brush into a natural fence on down wind side to make the deer walk around the end or thru a stragicaly placed gap. Plots should be odd shaped, kidnybean. Tri pointed, L shaped. A lot of thought should be put into them. You only need 5 acres to 8 acres of them. 1/2 acre plots-3 acre... A pond water source is a good idea but creek supplies that already. Money could be spent in a thinning project and in an orchard/orchards creation instead.

A fishing pond by the house is fine, but build it properly and stock it properly as well. I unfortunately had a food plot in old pasture near road.. it attracts a lot of road hunting, had to plant screen of trees and do a lot of patrolling (neighbors helped) to get it to stop. Posted signs only keep honest people honest. I would maintain the old pastures with mowing. Lot of good natural browse. I would concentration your plotting efforts near the center of property. Again prevalent wind direction dictates a lot.....

This topic is great but there is so much to it.... it is a bit mind blowing.  

Did you just buy this piece?  Have you hunted this ground yet?

I would start by getting some high def high quality maps from huntera.   A couple so you can keep a master and work another.

I would wind map the entire property this fall.

I would hunt this fall and take notes.

Once the wind mapping is done and you have a basic understanding on how the deer use your property I would then layout your plan.

Wind and stand access and exit needs to be your biggest factor.

second important factor is creating a sanctuary, again using the wind and access issues.   Make the sanctuary thick as snot.

Trail system is very important, as well as well defined borders and posting.   You need the wind down before trails are made.

I would then think about some plots, release apple trees, plant soft mast trees etc

It is a marathon not a sprint and don't be scared to get help from a pro.  Good luck, it looks like it has great potential.

Edited by WesternNY

thanks again, I have owned this piece for 2+ yrs, this will be my 3rd season hunting it, successful each year and at the same spot,  you lost me on windmapping, doesn't wind direction change with weather???? or are your referring to the counter of the land and the natural wind direction, sorry about the basic questions but I am learning and very fascinated with all this, I agree with you its not a sprint and don't want to rush it but want to get it right the first time, do you know of any consulting services for this?  I contacted the DEC for guidance earlier this year to ask the same, as expected they were not very helpful unless I was willing to open it up to the public( fully understand why)

Wind mapping is done as close to season as possible on multiple weather days.  You literally walk the property with map and a smoke machine, smoke bomb, or bubble gun and map out the wind direction.    Know your thermals for AM and PM.

I would pick up Neil Dougherty's new book, you can find it by searching for North Country Whitetails.  He is also the best Habitat Manager in the State.   You can see details on his website.  It will cost you a bit, but you will have a solid plan in place.

Here is some of my opinions: With the surrounding woods, particularly mature forests, just get planting. if you plant with a year round focus you will attract and keep most deer in the area close at hand. Yes deer come and go and wander around,  but if you keep a proper year round food source they wont be far. Road frontage can be used if planted for non hunting times, beware road hunters do watch. trails are what you make of them. if you use them with your atv only during deer season, you will pressure the deer off the property, but if the trails get routinely used the deer will become accustomed to the noise/motion and pay no attention to it. just ask any old school farmer about seeing deer while spreading manure. just my opinions hope it all works out for you!

• 2 weeks later...

First start planting food plots. Start with perennials (clover/alfalfa/vetches and then plant your annuals. Do NOT plant any type of fescue or real grass that is just a waste of money (Deer do not eat grass no matter what you think).  Once you establish the BROAD LEAFS  watch how your animals approach the fields and then start your trails, Base them on their movements not where you think they want to go.  Many small 2-4 acre plots seem to attract more deer than a few large ones. (Easier to hunt and gives you more hunting options too)  

Careful once you start this planting it becomes addictive and then its the equipment you start collecting instead of the rifles (I am looking for a no till planter instead of the 6.5 x 284 )  LOL its fun and good luck

thanks again, I have owned this piece for 2+ yrs, this will be my 3rd season hunting it, successful each year and at the same spot,  you lost me on windmapping, doesn't wind direction change with weather???? or are your referring to the counter of the land and the natural wind direction, sorry about the basic questions but I am learning and very fascinated with all this, I agree with you its not a sprint and don't want to rush it but want to get it right the first time, do you know of any consulting services for this?  I contacted the DEC for guidance earlier this year to ask the same, as expected they were not very helpful unless I was willing to open it up to the public( fully understand why)

Wonder if you hear much activity/shooting on the State land. If there is commotion on the state land, maybe it would benefit you to keep your food plot(s) as far away from State land as possible and work in the sanctuary where it is the thickest. Of course, as mentioned elsewhere, this is not a sprint, but a process that may take some time...Good luck.