ladder stands on state properties

Danny

I met a guy coming off of DEP property who told me where his stand was and said I could use it. It's a nice set up in a nice oak grove. That was 5 years ago and it was still there last season. I never did get in it but I found it strange that he would just leave hundreds of dollars of equipment in the woods and never comeback and get it.

I met a guy coming off of DEP property who told me where his stand was and said I could use it. It's a nice set up in a nice oak grove. That was 5 years ago and it was still there last season. I never did get in it but I found it strange that he would just leave hundreds of dollars of equipment in the woods and never comeback and get it.

What he's doing isn't legal. You were wise be to use his stand, might get you in trouble.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I am also amazed people would leave a high quality stand in the woods, considering it is not legal in areas like rocky point the DEC does take them down. Clearly states you are not to leave any personal property, that includes ladder stands and game cameras

If you really want to be a jerk you can just call DEC and they'll come and take the stand away then you wouldn't feel intrusive since there won't be any stand there any more as a claim marker. Me, if that spot is an awesome spot and there isn't any other spots like it nearby, I would just leave the stand alone and hunt near it. Usually the woods is big enough where I can find another place to go. I only hunt public land so I always prepare for the possibility that someone might be me to a spot that's why when I scout, I scout several locations in each park I hunt in.

I agree when I hunt public land I am always prepared that I might arrive later then someone and we are only allowed a certain number of hunters per spot and I would have to hunt elsewhere. I wouldn't hunt someone else's stand however, when I do come across them a) if someone is in it I would find another area. B) if I set up my climber near an unoccupied ladder stand and the owner comes and occupies it while I am hunting that area. That stand will not be there the next time he arrives. Just the same as I would lose it if you came in and gave me a wave then climbed a tree 100' from me. Having your stand in the woods all year doesn't make it your spot.