Hunter In Training

builtright716

After a long summer of checking trail cameras and putting up treestands, opening day was upon us. My ten year old son, Tyler, and I had decided to work our way into a group of white oaks that were steadily filling the ground with acorns. We have alot of pictures of does and bucks alike, feeding on the acorns, around the 8:00 hour.

We set up on the ground in an open area before daylight. About 7:30, we heard footsteps approaching from downwind. I reached to grab my bow, while the deer kept getting closer. I couldn't move for fear she would see me. All of a sudden I heard her blow, as I turned to see her bolt from 15 feet away. Tyler looked at me, shaking, and said, "That was so cool!" We waited awhile, as the doe fed out of sight behind us. Then we saw movement in the brush, 80 yards away. I tipped my can call a few times, and the deer came running right at us. As it stopped broadside at 20 yards, I came to full draw. I asked Tyler, " Do you want me to take it?" He replied with a "YES!" I touched the trigger on my release and saw my arrow disappear into the ribs of the deer only 20 yards from us.

Tyler has been hunting with me since he was 3 years old. He has seen me take a 24 pound Tom with an 11" beard, a couple of hens, numerous squirrels and rabbit, but never the elusive whitetail deer. That morning was special, and kept him interested in hunting.

After a few disappointing encounters with deer throughout the next week, Tyler and I were on our way into the woods on a Sunday morning, a week after opening day. We came upon a field, and stood, listening. It was too dark to see, but we jumped a deer after taking a step into the field, so we decided to sit here and wait for daylight before heading to our stand. As the sun came up, it was clear that we had to move to our intended stand.

After a short walk, we arrived at the stand we had built together a couple months before. I had Tyler ascend the stairs first and get into position. Just as I got to the top of the stairs, and placed one knee on the platform, Tyler whispers, "DEER!" I still had my backpack on, but I pulled an arrow from my quiver and nocked it, in time to see 3 doe heading our way. I waited for the smaller 2 deer to feed out of the way, and came to full draw just as the largest doe turned broadside. I squeezed the trigger and saw my arrow sticking out of her as she ran into the brush. Tyler turned to me and said, " Nice shot, Dad!" as he gave me a high five. We sat and drank coffee, and watched the other 2 deer feed out of sight.

Everyone should take their kids hunting. If you don't have any, then take your neices and nephews, or a friends children into the woods. We lose so many young people to video games and cell phones. We must teach our children the ways of the outdoors, escpecially in todays society of technology and gun control. These are the voices of the future. 

post-130-131455361855_thumb.jpg

post-130-131455361879_thumb.jpg

Thats a great story man and great job.. I agree completely I have a four year old who has been fishing since he was two. This year he began baiting and casting his own pole Ive never been more proud. He goes scouting with me and we spend nearly every weekend we have together either outdoors, or on rainy days indoors learning new things about the outdoors and wildlife. Unfortunately I can not have him in the woods during hunting season due to a seperation agreement, This done by my ex wife because she knew it would be a knife in my side..  >:)  But you can bet when his time comes he will be by my side and ready. There is nothing better than the excitement seen in a childs face when they catch a fish or hit there first squirrel with that pellet gun. It is something every child should have the oppurtunity to experience

I like your notes on the bottom of your comment TheHunter. My friends and I have a big buck contest every year to promote harvesting only mature deer. It is a different mindset if you choose to commit to shooting only wise old bucks, but a decision well worth it. I've grunted in numerous 4 and 6 points in the last few years, but have remained vigilant on harvesting only a mature buck. Sometimes this means no buck at all.