Winter Rye up

Good stuff. First year I planted winter rye deer didn't seem to get into it. This year it's responsible for 1 tag so far. And a few in it I passed on. Will be planting it again next year. It's nice to know local deer are getting use out of the plots.

• Like 1

I can't believe the number of WW and WR fields around our area this year and they are STILL planting it..a field went in yesterday...the deer have been on my WW/oat plot big time...I have one more big area to start rehabbing so I think a summer of discing and rock raking will be followed by winter grains and red clovers

Besides the deer eating winter rye late in to the winter, it is great for the soil, loosens it and fixes nitrogen. And easy to plant/grow!

The deer in my area are about 2 maybe 3 miles from any kind of agriculture. Woods deer, lol. They attack anything grown, better than eating sticks I guess. Actually there are tons of apple trees on my property and the surrounding area. But that's a short term food source. (besides them browsing the trees) Just goes to show you though they love variety.

• 1 month later...

So I'm hunting near my plots 11-30 and noticed deer tracks, scratching & digging in the WR. Granted there was more activity in the mix plot with some radish & turnip. But it was still nice to see and know they're getting through the snow using the plots.

Edited by Fantail

Been absolutely ZERO activity in my WW/WR plots. Have yet to see any deer in them! Tracks in the snow walking right through them, with no digging at all. My property is surrounded by corn, soybeans, triticale, and apple orchards. Too bad I still have plenty of WW/WR seeds left over to plant again next year. I think foodplots are highly overrated! Should have learned my lesson by now....