Mock Scrapes - best location?

IronBucks

I don't typically make mock scrapes now. I have in the past. Interesting tactic to say the least.

I'd go to a scrape at one parcel, take dirt from it and maybe even snip one of the licking branches (if more than one). Go to the other parcel, create one about 10-20yds away from the biggest one using the materials, ziptying the licking branch.

• Like 1

biggest thing to consider is a licking branch. We try and actually find old scrapes, clip the branches and zip tie them to a location we can shoot too. take a hand rake, rough up the area and put some active scrape mate in it. If just one deer hits it, your job is done. You want to try for a scrape line. For example, there is a mock scrape at one of our stands at about 20 yards, just off the run. There is a natural scrape 50 yards south of it on the same run and another natural one just 20 yards north, but in some thick cover. We have a cam on the scrape and they've been hitting it regularly, however last weekend I had a spike, a nice 6, an 8 all come through over the period of 20 minutes and not one hit the scrape mock scrape but did hit the natural scrape north of it, but pics from the other day showed the same deer hitting it. Funny enough a doe came in later and sniffed around it.

Just don't overdue it. If they dont hit the scrape, try refreshing it with more mock scrape and if it still doesn't take then leave well enough alone. I'll also add that i've never shot a buck over a mock scrape, but that most of our stands have natural and mocks around them. It's one of those things... did the buck come through because of the scrape? did he come through because of the food plot? would he have come through anyhow? haha.

Edited by Belo

Typically you would want it in an area where you expect a buck to come through to check up on the local does.

If you can place it downwind of doe bedding zones and on the edge of cover, you could get the attention of some cruising bucks.

Personally, I wouldn't use any estrous scent for another few days. Start with just plain doe pee, then after this weekend start giving it a few drops of doe estrous or buck urine.

• Like 2

Typically you would want it in an area where you expect a buck to come through to check up on the local does.

If you can place it downwind of doe bedding zones and on the edge of cover, you could get the attention of some cruising bucks.

Personally, I wouldn't use any estrous scent for another few days. Start with just plain doe pee, then after this weekend start giving it a few drops of doe estrous or buck urine.

X2 this is a good strategy for mock scrapes. Doesnt hurt for you to tinkle in it either ;)

Experimenting, I used a heated doe in estrous container last Saturday. It's an orange plastic casing with tinks 69 inside. It comes in a sealed pouch with directions not to open until ready to use.

It's supposed to last 4 hours or so. On my way into my blind, I hung it off a low hanging branch 20yds from my blind on an old logging road...the next day had a scrape directly under the branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

I don't typically make mock scrapes now. I have in the past. Interesting tactic to say the least.

I'd go to a scrape at one parcel, take dirt from it and maybe even snip one of the licking branches (if more than one). Go to the other parcel, create one about 10-20yds away from the biggest one using the materials, ziptying the licking branch.

that is a neat idea, any luck with doing it?

that is a neat idea, any luck with doing it?

Have I shot a buck over one? No, but I don't generally scrape hunt more than a time or two.

Where is the value - ticking off the dominant buck. I know the scrape dirt and licking branch is real/recent/timely...so that buck knows one is moving in on him. I have plenty of vids of bucks working those scrapes. Some think it may entice them out earlier or linger longer to bed.

• Like 1

little early for estruses. not to early for scrape mate. Also check out smokey's interdigital and pre-orbital gland. stuff should be illegal.

I've been wanting to try those buck scents.

So you've been scent checking the does?? lol JK. It may be a tad early for the most part, but some biologists suggest that a small % of deer breed in early Oct. Each herd of doe will go into estrous at different times.

Bucks are fighting now, so all they're waiting for is a hot, receptive doe.

Lill off tropic this has worked for myself.you will need 1 spray bottle a 1gal jug for mixing 1/2 gal of spring water 1 cup amonia 1 cup mineral oil and 1/2 cup of cosher salt mix well poor into spray bottle and spray around your hunting areas this realy works.GoodHunting

Edited by Dom

Whats your goal with them?

More deer activity- more mock scrapes

A place to kill a mature buck- good luck- scrapes arent it

Doe scent- not necessary. Deer scents are for HOPERS

wtf? lot of bold claims there, that a lot of hunters would disagree with.

What have been your results using smokey's pre- orbital?

what did you use , if any before smokey's?

thanks

well, we've been using mock scrapes for years. Only recently started using cams. But it seems that with the addition of the orbital on the licking branches that the scrapes are getting more use. A few have had almost year round activity.

Edited by Belo

I had a scrape 30 yds from my stand. sunday I noticed it was not in use much. I put a couple of drops of buck urine in it. Yesterday(Tuesday) it was all freshened up. Upon walking out of my stand around 11 I found 3 more scrapes. I have also seen allot of buck movement in this area. Cahsing and such. Now I put up a mock scrape with a dripper with dominate buck urine and doe estrous pee mixed 10 yards from the original scrape. I am not hunting that spot again until Sat and Sunday. Which will be 4 days later. Tuesday night I saw a 130 class buck come out in open field 150 yds from my stand at 4 pm. He was checking my scent drag that I used on the way in. I had two wicks on that drag. One doe estrous pee and the other dominate Buck urine. I just started using the estrous on Tues. I will let you know if it works? I dont know but willing to try anything once.

Someone said scrapes aren't the place to shoot bucks I beg to differ. As some of you know I saw a monster entering a field from a thicket on opening week.  I went into that small thicket and it had 4 scrapes in a 20 yard radius. I gave it four days since I walked around it. set up in the evening and bagged my little 8. went back there last week and there was a coffee can sized tree rub and another scrape in the thicket with two others 40 yards out right were my deer had expired. went back this morning and there were more rubs and a huge active scrape exactly where i shot mine. I took a different route out and found 5 more scrapes in a 100 yard line going from a field through pines to the thicket where my stand location is. some scrapes had the saplings with the licking branch uprooted, mangled, and on the ground. I should have passed up the small 8 and waited for his granddaddy, no doubt that spot is where its at.