mock scrapes

noodle one

How many on here make their own mock scrapes and then urinate in it. I have been doing this for about 10 years now and have found that it works as good as or better than store bought scent if places in the right spot. Today I went into a new hunting place and make three of them and set out a camera. I will be going back on Sun. to check and see if I put them in the right spot.

never tried it and until on here a few weeks ago i never even heard it... it has worked for you?

i was going to go to the store and buy some buck urine and make a few mock scrapes. i think now is the time for mock scrapes if one is going to try it... from what i have been reading in all the mags.

i have been thinking about trying mock scrapes this year. i have been researching different methods but im still not clear. this is what i have so far...

-make a mock scrape near existing deer sign(real scrapes/rubs)

-clear the ground with rubber boots or stick

-make scrape under licking branch(this is the part i dont get)

-use buck urine in scrape and freshen frequently

what exactly do you do with the licking branch? do you put scent on it? do you break it with your hand?

any other tips? thanks guys

What I do when making a mock scrape is to found alot of sign, dropping and tracks. If you are hunting a place were you have hunted for years this is a big advantage. Deer are creatures of habit and will make a scrape in the same area, or same spot year after year. When I walk in the woods, I petty much know were the old scrapes are. To be successful with a mock scrape, you need to be the first one there to make a scrape and urinate in it. Not deer urine,mine urine. I do not put any thing on the licking branch and I do not put my hands on it. Hands are a no no. You want to put the scrapes in the woods, not field edges, most scrapes found on edges of fields are night time work and you would be wasteing your time. Also when looking for sign (droppping and tracks), make sure that it is day time sign and not night time. When going into a new place, I first find the sign and look for spots that look like a natural site, deer trails, small trees with over hanging branches. If you are lucky,your first one will work. It might take a doz. trys, don't give up.because it does work. Now is the time to do it.

You must use the overhanging branch...

There are a few ways to do this.

They are: purchase some preorbital gland. Not many companies make it but I believe its called "Lickin Stik" by either Hunter Specialities or Wildlife Research. The brand I use and it has def drawn deer to my mock scrape (never was a scrape prior) is Smokeys Preorbital Gland in a bottle. I have tried Lickin Stik and can not say it has worked for me in the past.

http://smokeysdeerlure.com/deer.html

The other is to use rubber or plastic gloves (food handler disposable kind are fine) and cut the overhanging branch from an exixting scrape and just transport it to your scrape. Using a zip tie and attach it to a branch over hanging your mock scrape.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

I made these mock scrapes by kicking some leave out from under alicking branch on a well used trail near my stand and peeing in it my self.  These pics are from from 8 days after I made them.  Not a leaf in them, moist ground with hoof prints.  I put my cam on the scrape instead of the trail so well see on weds whats up.

post-303-131455363282_thumb.jpg