Uphill shooting

irish_redneck

I was in a situation yesterday where I had a doe about 30 yards away from me but about 15 feet higher than me how do I aim in that situation.

I realized I'd never practiced shooting uphill before. Is it the same as from a tree stand where you just aim the perpendicular distance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Aiming uphill will be less of a challenge than downhill, because gravity will be working against your arrow more than downhill.

At the same distance, and angle as downhill, the uphill shot will require you to aim closer to the true distance rather than the opposite perpendicular distance.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

To make it simple lets say you have a sight pin for every yard from 0 to 40. In your scenario you are 15' vertical and the LINE OF SIGHT distance is 30 yards (90'). The horizontal distance to the target is about 88.5' (29.5 Yards). so basically put your 30 yard pin on and squeeze. (unless you are shooting a bow where it drops like a rock at 30 yards).   The angles play a bigger role at the steeper angles or shorter distances.  That is why the ARC range finders have become so popular. it calculates the true horizontal distance to the target, and that is the pin you use.

Nope, as already stated, hold a hair low. The closer it is the less it matters.

The difference between line of sigt distance and true horizontal distance is greater making the difference more but the amount our set ups drop in those short yardages are very small so the differences are less.

if you ar 15' up and the deer is 15' away (45 degree angle) there is a 2 yard difference between line of sight(7 yuards)  and horizontal distance.(5 yards) . If you are using a 20 yard pin just aim a tad low.

Like I said before shooting form. Oh and anatomy. we practice so much on 2 D atrgets and even the 3D's have the vital rings on the surface of the sides. works great for level on the ground shooting but envision where those inside organs are at the steep angles. If the deer is 5' from the tree what do you think the chances are of hitting a double lung? If you practice from an elevated place think about where the broad head passed through and not about that vital ting on the surface.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a thread last year that had a diagram explaining the math/ angles from tree stands? I think it also had a link to a pretty cool flash app that had different shots and scored you on where you clicked. Anyone have a link to that thread?

• Like 1

Judging Distances

alt=Judging distance from a treestand hehttp://www.bowhunter-ed.com/images/graphics/judging_distance_down.jpg[/img]

When judging distance from a tree stand, use the horizontal distance, not the greater diagonal distance. In this diagram you should aim for 12 yards, not 13 yards.

To calculate the horizontal distance “a” from a tree stand to a target, with “b” being the height of your tree stand and “c” being the diagonal distance to a target (you can establish this number using a range finder), use this simple formula:

alt=simple formula for judging distancehttp://www.bowhunter-ed.com/images/graphics/ch6_formula.gif[/img]

For example, if the treestand is 5 yards above the ground and the diagonal distance to your target is 13 yards, then the horizontal distance is calculated as follows:

alt=formulas for judging distances heighhttp://www.bowhunter-ed.com/images/graphics/judging_treestand_distance.jpg[/img]

that's from the thread, don't know how to link the thread from tapatalk

I missed the same doe twice a couple

Of days ago. She came in at under 20 yards, over the hill on my right. She really surprised me, because I didn't expect anything from that direction! She is about 6-8 ft above me and 15 yards out. I lined up the shot (thinking "this is it, my first deer!), and stuck it in a tree right underneath and behind. She jumped and while I'm glassing the arrow to see if I hit her (clean arrow), she comes back over the hill! Gives me a perfect broadside shot. This time I aim for a high lung shot, and I think I hit her. I find blood, but no arrow, then the blood trail ends! The rest is another story, but.. In any case, shooting up hill meant I had to adjust my shot high, not low, so this thread has me a little confused!

I missed the same doe twice a couple

Of days ago. She came in at under 20 yards, over the hill on my right. She really surprised me, because I didn't expect anything from that direction! She is about 6-8 ft above me and 15 yards out. I lined up the shot (thinking "this is it, my first deer!), and stuck it in a tree right underneath and behind. She jumped and while I'm glassing the arrow to see if I hit her (clean arrow), she comes back over the hill! Gives me a perfect broadside shot. This time I aim for a high lung shot, and I think I hit her. I find blood, but no arrow, then the blood trail ends! The rest is another story, but.. In any case, shooting up hill meant I had to adjust my shot high, not low, so this thread has me a little confused!

Not to sound like a jerk but the math and physics do not lie. That small of an angle would make no difference. I would sooner think it was a misjudged distance or shooter error. what pin were you using and where did you hold?

• Like 1

Well, operator error is totally possible :)

But shooting a target :) I am consistent, and when I shot target from down hill, I ruined two arrows shooting them into a wooden sand box about 2ft below my target. I can heart/lung that shot all day on level ground/and from my stand at the same yardage! So, physics being constant (sort of anyway), maybe my eye is somehow fooling me? BTW, very much appreciating this thread. Thanks

• Like 1

I agree with Eddie.  and here is why it is true.

New2bow.---try this. take a string or rope or even a tape measure. hold one end in you bow hanf and the other end in your release hand. keep the string tight and hold it just like you are shooting level. Now while still standing up. lower you bow hand like shooting at a target below the stand. what is the string doing in your release hand?  does the string pull through your release hand and need to be longer?  More tension especially if shooting a bow with no hard back wall will make it shoot higher than on level.

Now  dothe same thing uphill without bending back. Start level and rasie you bow arm. The string starts to sag. decreasing the draw removes energy in the limbs causing you to shoot lower that on the level.  especially with bow without very agressive cams.

I think this contributes to the shooting high downhill and shooting low uphill myth. when in realith if you were to have a pin for the EXACT horizontal yardage from the stand you would be right on. But we don't have that many pins. Most start at 20 and that is why that pin needs to be held low.

• Like 2