new report on hunter motivation

mike rossi

• 3 weeks later...

Tagging for later resd

Glad you and others are noticing that... This site would be more useful if people would use the tagging function. When a bill or issue comes up it makes things that were previously researched or discussed more easy to search. For example I have tagged most of the stuff I posted about Dove hunting in NY and the state pheasant farm so that when these issues surface again people can search for info more easily.

More women hunting? How many members does this forum have and you can count the women on it on one hand and that hasn't changed in years....And meat motivation has always been what most hunters are out for, the trophy at the dinner table, nothing new here.

A long term downward trend in hunting participation has shown a slight reversal recently. Adult females and locovores have contributed greater recruitment numbers than youths from non hunting families and hunters who have returned to the sport after becoming inactive...

The meat aspect among existing hunters may not be new, but what is new, is the recruitment of locovores and foodies into the sport of hunting... The reference to Locovores or Foodies  is not about the meat motivation of existing hunters, this is about new people entering the sport. These are people without prior exposure to hunting who are attracted to the sport for healthier or alternate meats, who don't wish to support factory farms, and want to decrease their carbon footprint...

Below is a link about locovores and there have been several  hard copy books written about it the past few years as well... Its a movement and it is growing...

http://youtu.be/t4BvNGiBiz4

More women hunting? How many members does this forum have and you can count the women on it on one hand and that hasn't changed in years....And meat motivation has always been what most hunters are out for, the trophy at the dinner table, nothing new here.

remember one thing, just because woman like to hunt don't mean they want to spend there time on hunting sights, my wife loves to hunt, could care less what anyone on a hunting sight has to say, a lot more woman hunting, doesn't mean a lot more woman on hunting sights

and meat was the motivation to hunt, hunt or starve, however one thing that has changed, people now understand that deer is a lot more healthy than what they buy in the store, organic is the craze right now, and you can't get much more organic than deer

I'm not saying this applies to everyone, however we are seeing something new here

I have always known women that hunted. Some stick to wingshooting above dogs, and others are fond of deer hunting. The youth hunt has found me with a young lady both years, and I already have a new one for next year.

It has been my experience that the women and young ladies just want to be included in the whole experience. Not just sat in a stand and ignored. They want to be on vacation too. Not be expected to do all the cleaning, cooking, and other chores.

But, on the other hand, a lot of men consider deer season to be their one time of year for "man stuff". I can see this aspect as well.

Personally, I will go out of my way to help a woman or youngster get started hunting. It helps keep me motivated as well.

Here is another one, but not a very good one. This novice isn't ready to hunt, she cant ID her birds and is still babbling about her dilemma regarding killing animals and shooting guns. Another thing, the recipe at the end, that is the first time I ever heard anybody suggest there is such a thing as under cooking a duck.

http://youtu.be/tGkpKjm8HbM